5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2017 7:06 AM by Patrick.Cashman

Visual Studio (or any other 3rd party Automation Client, not supported by Mentor)

peter_festesen

Knowing that quite many of the subscribers in this community use Visual Studio or other 3rd party automation clients – well knowing that these are not officially supported by Mentor Support.

Just to clarify, the Automation Server is DxDesigner (viewdraw.exe), the External Automation Client is the compiled .exe from Visual Studio. For completeness, an internal client would be a vbs or efm file, run from inside DxDesigner Application

How do you normally work around this situation?  I am using the Addline2 method for DxDesigner Automation as an example :

Using the Addline2 method in an internal client works, but when running with the external client, the call

Set DxDesignerLine = Activeview.Block.AddLine2(1,1,x*10,y*10)

sometimes returns ‘Nothing’ , where is should return the DxDesignerLine object. This apparently is worse when the DxDesigner Application is kept open during script runtime, so there must be some disturbance happening.

Q1: Can someone explain why this happens ?

Q2: Can someone suggest a workaround for this issue ?

• 1. Re: Visual Studio (or any other 3rd party Automation Client, not supported by Mentor)
          Patrick.Cashman

I made an example script in my Visual Studio test project:

Sub add_line()

Dim view As ViewDraw.View

Dim blok As ViewDraw.Block

Dim x1, y1, x2, y2 As Double

Dim line As ViewDraw.Line

view = app.ActiveView

blok = view.Block

x1 = 100

y1 = 100

x2 = 200

y2 = 200

line = blok.AddLine2(x1, y1, x2, y2)

End Sub

It works as expected and draws a line on the open schematic sheet.  The DxD application remains open. Of  course the global app variable is set by a method that connects to the open DxD session.

Other than the Set statement you have in your command which is not needed in vb.net, I don't see any reason the command you posted will not work.

• 2. Re: Visual Studio (or any other 3rd party Automation Client, not supported by Mentor)
            peter_festesen

Thanks, Patrick

Just to clarify - the issue at hand is that the Addline2 method sometimes (as in 20 times of 1000) fails to return the Line object and returns 'Nothing' as the object. 

This never happens with internal clients, but appears to happen when using dotNet as the external client. 

• 3. Re: Visual Studio (or any other 3rd party Automation Client, not supported by Mentor)
              Patrick.Cashman

In that case I'd wrap the command in little loop something like this:

line = nothing

n = 0

While line is nothing

line = blok.AddLine2(x1, y1, x2, y2)

n = n + 1

if n  = 5 then Exit While

End While

If line is nothing then

Msgbox("No line created from " & x1 & "," & y1 & " to " & x2 & "," y2)

'or some other notification

End If

That will give you up to 5 chances to create the line.  Perhaps you could write the coordinates to a file and then come back and attempt to draw them again later with the text file data.

• 4. Re: Visual Studio (or any other 3rd party Automation Client, not supported by Mentor)
                peter_festesen

Thanks for the workaround - I like it !!!!

I have learned two other important things in the meantime. This is directly related to the Addline2 example, and may not be valid for all.

Make the application invisible - it greatly reduces the number of 'Nothing' occurences.

app.Visible = False

'Do your Stuff

app.Visible = True

Another method makes use of  the SetRedraw method, so in line with the above

app.SetRedraw(False)

'Do your Stuff

app.SetRedraw(True)

app.Visble will hide the DxDEsigner application (think Minimize), so make sure you tell the user that it is about to happen, in order not to scare them. The use of app.Visble will also shorten your runtime

app.SetRedraw will simply refrain from updating the graphics window in DxDesigner. Ther is only little runtime improvement to be gained by using SetRedraw.

• 5. Re: Visual Studio (or any other 3rd party Automation Client, not supported by Mentor)
                  Patrick.Cashman

You're welcome.  Whenever creating an object, you can't be too careful to make sure it actually happened, so my code is full of error traps like that.

Thanks for the info on app.visible and app.setredraw.  Both appear to be useful.