1 2 First Previous 29 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2018 6:36 AM by peter_festesen

xDxDesigner - readout Attribute which is multiple times on the same Sheet via Automation

fuba

Hello out there,

is there a way how to readout Attributes which appears multiple

times on a schematic sheet ? I was trying with this:

Dim attr As ViewDraw.Attribute

attr = vdApp.ActiveView.Block.FindAttribute("myAttribute")

but it returns only (the first) one attribute. I also tried to query like this

Dim objs As ViewDraw.IVdObjs

objs= vbView.Query(ViewDraw.VdObjectTypeMask.VDM_ATTR, ViewDraw.VdAllOrSelected.VD_ALL)

but also here no success, return count is 0.

Any Idea ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: xDxDesigner - readout Attribute which is multiple times on the same Sheet via Automation
          peter_festesen

Hi - these properties you are looking for - what are they attached to ? The border symbol, or individual symbols .

From what you write, you seem to be looking at Block, with Block being the schematic page ?

Let us know a bit more, and we'll try to help ;-)

• 2. Re: xDxDesigner - readout Attribute which is multiple times on the same Sheet via Automation
            fuba

Hello Peter, thanks for this first quick response.

yes, these Properties are attached to the border.

A colleague of mine is planning several atttributes of

the same type/name, carrying different values,

which I should collect for another report.

I am looking here for a way to read them out.

Working with FindAttribute in the past was always ok,

when having single attributes. But now.

Thanks

Stefan

• 3. Re: xDxDesigner - readout Attribute which is multiple times on the same Sheet via Automation
              peter_festesen

I think you need to iterate through all attributes, once you have grabbed the border symbol (=Block)

FindAttribute will always just report one property - result is a Attribute Object

Your second trial (I haven't ried) looks for properties (attributes) attached to the schematic sheet itself, if I am not misreading the code above)

My suggestion would be :

ColAttr=Block.Attributes 'collection of all attributes on block

For each oAttr in colAttr

<register the properties, probably in an array, dictionary won't work for multiple properties with same name>

Next 'Atrribute

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: xDxDesigner - readout Attribute which is multiple times on the same Sheet via Automation
                fuba

I will check that and will come back on this. Thanks for the suggestions.

• 6. Re: xDxDesigner - readout Attribute which is multiple times on the same Sheet via Automation
                  Patrick.Cashman

Peter has the right idea. Get all the attributes and iterate through them.

• 7. Re: xDxDesigner - readout Attribute which is multiple times on the same Sheet via Automation
                    fuba

Hi,

I tried like this:

Dim Attributes As ViewDraw.IVdObjs
                    Attributes = vdApp.ActiveView.Block.Attributes

Dim Attribute As ViewDraw.Attribute

Dim sb As StringBuilder
                    sb = New StringBuilder

For k As Integer = 1 To Attributes.Count
                        Attribute = Attributes.Item(k)
                        With sb
                            .AppendLine("1-Name:          " & Attribute.Name)
                            .AppendLine("2-Value:          " & Attribute.Value)
                            .AppendLine("3-TextString:    " & Attribute.TextString)
                            '.AppendLine("4-Instance Value: " & Attribute.InstanceValue)
                            .AppendLine("5-Type: " & Attribute.Type)
                            '.AppendLine("5-Instance Type: " & Attribute.InstanceValue)
                            .AppendLine()
                        End With
                    Next

xDxAttributes1.png

But it doesnt give me a result (count always 0). How to I grab the Border ?

I think that might be my problem here ?

Thanks for the help

• 8. Re: xDxDesigner - readout Attribute which is multiple times on the same Sheet via Automation
                      peter_festesen

In your example, you use : Attributes = vdApp.ActiveView.Block.Attributes

which, If I am not am mistaken, would give you the attributes of the schematic sheet (page if you will) - but thta is not what you want. You need to iterate through all pages in the design, then iterate through all comps (symbols) on each page, then for each comp that is of the correct type (ANNOTATE), list all attributes.

I have done it this way

1) Walk through the hierarchy of the design (see here: https://communities.mentor.com/docs/DOC-1345#comment-1572

I am not sure if you are doing that already. The HierarchyWalker script creates a dictionary of all schematic pages with their full path, then goes though every page.

Look at Function WalkDesign in the thread for details.

2)  In the listed example in the thread, you have For Each objComp in ActiveView.Query(VDM_COMP, VD_ALL)

This is where the fun part starts.

We want to find the borders only - they are of type VDB_ANNOTATE, so the code will look like this

If objComp.SymbolBlock.SymbolType = VDB_ANNOTATE Then

Set colAttr = objComp.SymbolBlock.Attributes

Listbox1.AddString oAttr.Name &" ; "& oAttr.EitherValue

Next 'oAttr

End If

In my trial here (I am using the efm, not dotNet) I am simply dumping all properties to a listbox, with their name and value.

I hope this helps you

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: xDxDesigner - readout Attribute which is multiple times on the same Sheet via Automation
                        fuba

Hello Peter,

thanks for your good answer. Yes, this helps. I found some of the attributes. But Interesting is, that I still miss a few.

I can readout all of the Attributes (see image below) except the ones marked in red.

dxd.png

Do you have any other ideas, what can be wrong ?

Thanks again

...I will go on searching.

• 10. Re: xDxDesigner - readout Attribute which is multiple times on the same Sheet via Automation
                          peter_festesen

That looks a little odd - one thing to check is if the properties that you marked, are defined in the Property Definition Editor in the Library. Easiest way to check tat is to click on the property name and look at the readout at the bottom of the properties window. If it says 'Non-Common property', they are not defined in the Definition File. Other things to look for are space characters before or after the name.

What happens if you read out all properties (Listbox in your code or use  AppendOutput to write data to the Output window of DxDesigner, as in

If objComp.SymbolBlock.SymbolType = VDB_ANNOTATE Then

AppendOutput "List Props", "_"&oAttr.Name &"_;"& oAttr.EitherValue

Next 'oAttr

End If

I added a few underscore characters before and after the property name, it helps to identify spaces, you can also use other characters of course ;-)

The above will write to a new tab (if it does not already exist)  called 'List Props' in the Output Window in DxD.

• 11. Re: xDxDesigner - readout Attribute which is multiple times on the same Sheet via Automation
                            fuba

Thanks again for the good answers.

Regarding your recommendation looking into the Property Definition Editor, I have to wait a little for one of my Libarians.

Let me summarise what I have done since yesterday.

1. I created a new Design (in VX.2.1) added one single Schematic
                            2. I ran my code/macro and read out successfully all the Attributes which are there.
                            3. I added a Value to one Attribute (in my case: fmt_user = Donald Duck)
                            4. I ran my code/ macro again.
                              1. Obersvation one: I missed one Attribute the 'FORWARD_PCB'
                              2. Obersavation two: I missed the Value of fmt_user = "Donald Duck"
                            5. I let the packager run, - no improvements
                            6. I added an existing Property/Attribute + Value to my Schematic Page (fmt_schem_number=123456789)
                            7. I ran my code/macro again
                              1. the previously added Attribute (fmt_schem_number) and its value is missing.

For Reference I add my code here:

Private Sub btnScanLegend_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnScanLegend.Click

Dim SchematicName As String
                                '# this is the schematic name, not the board
                                SchematicName = vdApp.GetProjectData.GetiCDBDesignRootBlock(vdApp.GetActiveDesign())

Dim SchematicSheets As Object
                                SchematicSheets = vdApp.QueryPages(SchematicName)

Dim blocks As Object
                                blocks = vdApp.QueryPages(SchematicName)

Dim block As ViewDraw.Block

Dim cdSchms As ViewDraw.IStringList
                                cdSchms = vdApp.SchematicSheetDocuments.GetAvailableSchematics

Dim vdScmSheets As ViewDraw.IStringList
                                vdScmSheets = vdApp.SchematicSheetDocuments.GetAvailableSheets(cdSchms.GetItem(1))

Dim msg As String
                                msg = String.Empty

'#
                                '# Now we run over all Schematic Sheets
                                '# in the Order like in Dx Navigator (on the left)
                                For theSheetNum As Integer = 1 To blocks.count

block = blocks.item(theSheetNum)

vdDoc = vdApp.SchematicSheetDocuments.Open(SchematicName, (block.SheetNum))

vdDoc.Activate()

Dim doc As ViewDraw.IVdDoc
                                    doc = vdApp.ActiveDocument

Dim docName As String = doc.Name
                                    Dim vdShName As String = docName.Substring(InStr(docName, "."))

msg = "Working on Sheet: " & theSheetNum & " / " & blocks.count & " --> " & vdShName
                                    Debug.Print(msg)
                                    Me.UpdateRtb(msg, Color.Blue)

If 1 Then

'#
                                        '# Queries ONLY the current active schematic/symbol
                                        '# file in DxDesigner (e.g. queries only the current "view")

Dim Components As ViewDraw.IVdObjs
                                        Components = vdApp.ActiveView.Query(ViewDraw.VdObjectTypeMask.VDM_COMP, ViewDraw.VdAllOrSelected.VD_ALL)

For j As Integer = 1 To Components.Count

Dim Component As ViewDraw.Component = Components.Item(j)

msg = "Working on Obj: " & j & " / " & Components.Count
                                            Debug.Print(msg)
                                            Me.UpdateRtb(msg, Color.BlueViolet)

If Component.SymbolBlock.SymbolType = ViewDraw.VdSymbolType.VDB_ANNOTATE Then

Dim colAttr As ViewDraw.IVdObjs
                                                colAttr = Component.SymbolBlock.Attributes

For k As Integer = 1 To colAttr.Count

Dim oAttr As ViewDraw.Attribute
                                                    oAttr = colAttr.Item(k)

Dim sb As StringBuilder
                                                    sb = New StringBuilder

With sb
                                                        .AppendLine("Attrib            : *" & k & " / " & colAttr.Count)
                                                        .AppendLine("  1-Name          : *" & oAttr.Name & "*")
                                                        .AppendLine("  2-Type          : *" & oAttr.Type & "*")
                                                        .AppendLine("  3-Value         : *" & oAttr.Value & "*")
                                                        .AppendLine("  4-TextString    : *" & oAttr.TextString & "*")
                                                        .AppendLine("  5-Instance Type : *" & oAttr.InstanceValue & "*")
                                                        .AppendLine("  6-Instance Value: *" & oAttr.InstanceValue & "*")
                                                        .AppendLine()
                                                    End With

Debug.Print(sb.ToString)
                                                    Me.UpdateRtb(sb.ToString, Color.Black)

If oAttr.Name = "fmt_sheet_backup" Then
                                                        Debug.Print("DebugStop")
                                                    End If

Next k

End If

If Component.SymbolBlock.SymbolType = ViewDraw.VdSymbolType.VDB_COMPOSITE Then
                                                Debug.Print("DebugStop")
                                            End If

If Component.SymbolBlock.SymbolType = ViewDraw.VdSymbolType.VDB_MODULE Then
                                                Debug.Print("RefDes : " & Component.Refdes)
                                            End If

If Component.SymbolBlock.SymbolType = ViewDraw.VdSymbolType.VDB_PIN Then
                                                Debug.Print("DebugStop")
                                            End If

Next j

End If

'# Close the Doc to save RAM
                                    doc.Close(False, vdScmSheets.GetItem(theSheetNum))

Next

End Sub

I also checked in the Library "CentLib.prp" which keeps Property Definitions for our Company Setup.

I think if a Attribute/Property is not listed in here it is marked as "Non Common Property".

But now another question for clarification, Where is the difference between an

"Annotation" (SymbolType=VDB_ANNOTATE) and a Property on a Component where SymbolType=VDB_MODULE ?

Just for completeness, thats the way i add my attributes:

propAdd-1.pngpropAdd-2.png

Thanks again

• 12. Re: xDxDesigner - readout Attribute which is multiple times on the same Sheet via Automation
                              fuba

Ok, I found it.

Peter, you recommended, which was quite good, but gining not all of the Attributes and not all Values (pls see my post from above):

Next 'oAttr

After some deep dive I changed to:

Set colAttr = objComp.Attributes

Next 'oAttr

This is giving me now all Attributes and Values.

If you change/add that line in my code example, you will get different results.

Can someone explain why ? Where is the diff between the lists ?

Hope this Thread here is helpful for others.

• 13. Re: xDxDesigner - readout Attribute which is multiple times on the same Sheet via Automation
                                Patrick.Cashman

There is a difference between component attributes and component symbol attributes.

The view has a block.  This block has no attributes.

The view has components.  One of them is a border.  The border component has attributes, that typically fill the title block and so on. Each of the component attributes has a value (probably, but it could be blank).  The border component has a symbol block.  The symbol block has attributes, and they are all blank.

This code demonstrates the differences:

Sub list_sheet_attributes()

Dim n, i, j As Integer

Dim attr As ViewDraw.Attribute

Dim view As ViewDraw.View

Dim blok As ViewDraw.Block

Dim attrs As ViewDraw.Objects

Dim comps As ViewDraw.IVdObjs

Dim comp As ViewDraw.Component

For n = 1 To sheet_names.Count

app.SchematicSheetDocuments.Open(design_name, n)

view = app.ActiveView

Debug.Print(vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Sheet " & n)

blok = view.Block

Debug.Print(vbCrLf & "view block attributes:")

attrs = blok.Attributes

Debug.Print("there are " & attrs.Count & " attributes on the view block")

For j = 1 To attrs.Count

attr = attrs.Item(j)

Debug.Print(attr.Name & vbTab & attr.Value)

Next

Debug.Print(vbCrLf & "view.blok.getbatchattributes: ")

Debug.Print(blok.GetBatchAttributes)

Debug.Print(vbCrLf & "Border component attributes:")

comps = view.Query(128, 0)

For i = 1 To comps.Count

comp = comps.Item(i)

blok = comp.SymbolBlock

If blok.SymbolType = 3 And blok.LibraryName = "Border" Then

Debug.Print(vbCrLf & comp.SymbolBlock.GetName(2) & ":")

Debug.Print(vbCrLf & "component attributes:")

attrs = comp.Attributes

For j = 1 To attrs.Count

attr = attrs.Item(j)

Next

Debug.Print(vbCrLf & "symbol block attributes:")

attrs = blok.Attributes

For j = 1 To attrs.Count

attr = attrs.Item(j)

Next

Debug.Print(vbCrLf & "symbol block getbatchattributes:")

Debug.Print(blok.GetBatchAttributes)

End If

Next

Next

End Sub

My output from this is:

Sheet 1

view block attributes:

there are 0 attributes on the view block

view.blok.getbatchattributes:

Border component attributes:

BORDER_B_SIZE_1:

component attributes:

@PRINTORDER   

@SHEETTOTAL    21

ApprovedBy    John Smith

ApprovedDate    01AUG17

CheckedBy    Davey Jones

CheckedDate    01AUG17

DrawnBy    Rene Descartes

DrawnDate    01AUG17

MATNO    141191

SMTNO    141192

Title    RECEIVE IF

DrawingNumber    10000044683

Revision    AA

Revision-2    AA

@SHEET    5

symbol block attributes:

Title   

SMTNO   

MATNO   

DrawnDate   

DrawnBy   

CheckedDate   

CheckedBy   

ApprovedDate   

ApprovedBy   

@SHEETTOTAL   

@SHEET   

Revision-2   

Revision   

DrawingNumber   

symbol block getbatchattributes:

0 Title=

0 SMTNO=

0 MATNO=

0 DrawnDate=

0 DrawnBy=

0 CheckedDate=

0 CheckedBy=

0 ApprovedDate=

0 ApprovedBy=

3 @SHEETTOTAL=

3 @SHEET=

0 Revision-2=

3 Revision=

3 DrawingNumber=

• 14. Re: xDxDesigner - readout Attribute which is multiple times on the same Sheet via Automation
                                  peter_festesen

Hi - are you saying that objComp.SymbolBlock.Attributes gives you a different collection than objComp.Attributes ?

BTW thanks for replying with the whole story also on NonCommon properties. That was a useful detail.

Please confirm, and I'll do some digging.

/Peter

1 2 First Previous