1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 9, 2018 6:55 AM by rajesh_chandrasekar

Exposed pad, associated copper, thermal pads and PCB heatsinks

elima

I am a new to PCB design and some basics are still not clear to me. In my new design I am using a component that has an exposed pad. The component is smart high-side Mosfet. The exposed pad would be connected to a copper heatsink, perhaps.

The company that manufactures the component provides also the PCB footprint. Checking the provided footprint, I noticed that the exposed pad is connected to two copper pours.

Datasheet of the component: PCB footprint p.52 https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-BTS7008-2EPA-DS-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d46258fc0bc101590212356876b1

PCB footprint(under boards): BTS7008-2EPA - Infineon Technologies

Now to my questions:

1. As far as I understood, the terminals are part of the copper, how adding associated copper pours changes anything? I am probably understanding something wrong.

2. For manual soldering, I suppose that I would need to add VIAs so that I will be able to solder the component from the other side, right?

3. When are thermal pads used and what is the difference between for example the associated copper?

Any links/videos that explain the topic are much appreciated. I have tried myself to find answers to my question without much of luck.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Exposed pad, associated copper, thermal pads and PCB heatsinks
          rajesh_chandrasekar

Hi elima,

*     This mosfet ic(BTS7008-2EPA) having single exposed pad for heat sink purpose

*     The recommended footprint (Green mark) also having single copper pad

*     The recommended stencil aperture is right side image (Red mark)

*     You can do one copper pour [+VS] and connect it to Supply voltage.

*     Check here attached image.

PG-TSDSO-14-22.JPG

*     If you are designing 2-Layer PCB then you can add via for connecting Top - Bottom layer for more thermal stability.