10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2009 5:45 AM by yu.yanfeng

Fabmaster

In 2007.3, is there a difference between the Fabmaster that is generated from within Expedition and requires a Fablink XE Pro license and the one you can generate from Report Writer?

• 1. Re: Fabmaster
          steve_hughes

Jeff,

The FabLink XE version was developed so that the BoardStation XE flow would have the capability to generate both FabMaster and C-Link interfaces.

The interface capability should be the same as they were modeled on the existing interfaces.

The existing Expedition PCB interfaces were developed on very old Report Writer (Crystal Report) based technology & as such are difficult to maintain from an engineering perspective.

My plan eventually is to phase out the Report Writer based interfaces (FabMaster & C-Link) and replace them in Expedition PCB with the FabLink XE version. That way I will be able to both maintain & fix defects going forward much easier.

Regards,

Steve

• 2. Re: Fabmaster

Steve,

Are you saying that the functions like IPC-D-356, Fabmaster, etc that are currently done in Report Writer (Unless you have Fablink) will become part of Expedition (i.e. I won't need a Fabmastrer license to run these features)?  If so, I think that would be great, since I don't find RW all that useful except for the getting an IPC or a FABmaster report out.  The good thing, is that you can do all of that through the command line and I never really have to open RW.  However, I would much rather run these out of Expedition as part of my standard fabrication scripts.

• 3. Re: Fabmaster
              yu.yanfeng

Hi Steve,

I found the .fab file generated from Expeditioncpb built-in programs(File-Export-General Interfaces) have errors and  many of those .fab files can't accepted by Valor's Trilogy 5000 Simens's eM-Expert Assembly G8. Thi symptom is verified in production field. However, most of .fab files generated by Write report are accepted. The problem is related to trace's XY Location.

Yanfeng

• 4. Re: Fabmaster
                steve_hughes

Yanfeng,

I would encourage you to log a defect through the normal channels so that we have all the relevant details such as EE/BSXE flow version &  a test case etc.

This is the first time I have heard that the two current versions of the FabMaster interface are different. They should be comparable.

Thanks & Regards,

Steve

• 5. Re: Fabmaster
                  steve_hughes

Jeff,

Yes, my plan would be to replace the RW based outputs with standard outputs in Expedition PCB.

As I mentioned earlier, it makes them easier to maintain moving forward.

Regards,

Steve

• 6. Re: Fabmaster

Steve,

I think that would be a good thing for the tool going forward.  My only request is that you make the output easily automated.

• 7. Re: Fabmaster
                      yu.yanfeng

Hi Steve,

I simply create a testcase. It's simple but it can show the differences and why somthing is wrong. I hope Mentor check this testcase. Late I will show what's wrong in the interfaces.

Yanfeng

• 8. Re: Fabmaster
                        steve_hughes

Yanfeng,

Please log a defect through your normal Customer Support channels.

This forum is not intended to be replacment for Customer Support or a "help desk".

Without a SR number from you I we cannot track this issue internally to a resolution.

Please inform me when yuo have logged this usse & have a SR number, I will then follow up with you.

Thanks & Regards,

Steve

• 9. Re: Fabmaster
                          yu.yanfeng

Hi Steve,

I done a full investigation to this symptom and found the root cause to the bug 4 hours ago. Due to we are out of maintenance, I can't log the  SR in the support. After I am free of daily works, I will explains why and what need to do for troubleshooting the bug.

Yanfeng

• 10. Re: Fabmaster
                            yu.yanfeng

Hi Steve,

Definitely, the .fat-f file output utilities are buggy.  Here is the first one: You may add some testpoints on my demo design and ouput the fab file by the report writer, You will find the testpoint you added be disappeared after you importing to the CAM system supporting fat-f.

1.GIF

I hope all Mentor AE/CSE check it and feedback here

Yanfeng