4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2018 8:26 AM by matthew_grange

Can I do scripting in Pyxis Layout, if so how?

naeem

Hi,

I use Pyxis Layout, mainly for mask designing. I normally draw my features but I am looking for writing script and compile to draw features type thing. Is it possible with Pyxis Layout?

• 1. Re: Can I do scripting in Pyxis Layout, if so how?
          Community_Admin

Thanks for your question. I am going to move this to our IC Design community where it will receive greater visibility among users. The Member Resources space is for general community questions and suggestions.

• 2. Re: Can I do scripting in Pyxis Layout, if so how?
            matthew_grange

Hi,

Pyxis uses the AMPLE scripting language to automate actions. See the Pyxis Layout Reference Manual for the list of functions.

https://documentation.mentor.com/en/docs/201709104/pyxis_layout_ref/html/id840511af-6c68-431f-a7f3-d68dfe8d47e1

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can I do scripting in Pyxis Layout, if so how?
              naeem

Thanks for the reply. It is very helpful. Just to make sure, is it the 'userware' the environment where the script is written? Does MG provide any example project? It may be a demonstration to draw a rectangle.

• 4. Re: Can I do scripting in Pyxis Layout, if so how?
                matthew_grange

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I have not used the tool in a long time and I'm not an expert, but I'll try give some pointers. Yes, check out the "Custom Userware" section of the Pyxis Layout User's Manual. For what you're doing, you probably can just write a macro. I would start by simply entering commands in the console while a layout is open to get an idea of what can be done.

A macro is a way that you can define and execute a sequence of operations.

In Pyxis Layout, you have two choices for creating macros:

• You can write an AMPLE function for the action that you want. Once the function is defined for the current session, you can execute the function just like any other function.
                • You can create a file that contains a sequence of functions, then execute the file with the $dofile() function. Your $dofile files are not as efficient as AMPLE functions because they are not compiled.

In Pyxis Layout, functions are executed within the scope of the current active window. If your

macro operates on multiple windows, you must change the current active window with

$set_active_window() to the window where the action is to be done. If you close a window in a

macro, be sure to use the $set_active_window() function to establish a new active window.

The "Diode Device Generator Creation" topic in the Pyxis Process Design Kit User's and Reference Manual (pyxis_pdk_useref.pdf) is a good  example of how to issue functions to draw objects using the built-in commands. There are some other useful topics in that section as well.

Good luck,

matt