6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2009 9:21 AM by yu.yanfeng

HL 8.0 's Allegro Translator wrongly interprets arc traces.

yu.yanfeng

HL 8.0 Allegro Translator wrongly interprets arc traces, it treat every arc in one direction(Clockwise /antiClockwise solely). I have logged it in the supportnet,hope it can help Mentor to  can eliminate this bug a.s.a.p

Allegro's Extracta clearly dipcates the arc direction, here is the example etch data from Allegro:

S!ETCH!TOP!RA 00000010!RA10!85 7!ARC!256!2743.83!3258.03!2757.98!3243.88!2750.90!3250.96!10.01!5.00!CLOCKWISE!CONNECT!
      S!ETCH!TOP!RA 00000010!RA10!85 8!LINE!257!2757.98!3243.88!2687.94!3173.84!5.00!!!!!CONNECT!
      S!ETCH!TOP!RA 00000010!RA10!85 9!ARC!256!2687.94!3173.84!2702.09!3159.69!2695.02!3166.76!10.01!5.00!COUNTERCLOCKWISE!CONNECT!

hl8.bmp allegro.bmp

The workaround is using .DSN if you don't do PI analysis in HL 8.0

This symptom was found by one of mine budys.

Yanfeng

• 1. Re: HL 8.0 's Allegro Translator wrongly interprets arc traces.
          yu.yanfeng

CCT will translate arc into mutiple line segment correctly. Why HL 8.0 Allegro translator not? Does it be tested by Beta users or by Mentor's tester?

• 2. Re: HL 8.0 's Allegro Translator wrongly interprets arc traces.
            yu.yanfeng

I have received the feeback from Mentor. This is a known Bug, but not determine which release to solve it. From my limited software experencese, Such type of bug can be solved within 2 working day.

If Mentor is willing to listen, I can tell how to do it correctly.

Yanfeng

• 3. Re: HL 8.0 's Allegro Translator wrongly interprets arc traces.
              Steve_McKinney

Yanfeng,

I can't comment as to why it interprets the arcs wrong but it is a defect.  We have a capable engineering team that does a great job (my opinion at least) but I think priority was put on making the PI translator robust and maybe this issue simple got overlooked in the development process (there was a long list of things that had to be completed for this release as you may have noticed if you've looked at the HyperLynx 8.0 content).  

-Steve

• 4. Re: HL 8.0 's Allegro Translator wrongly interprets arc traces.
                yu.yanfeng

Hi Steve,

There are too much bugs to HL PI and the translator. We know every first release always have many bugs in nature, I never expect HL PI 8.0 is free of bug. But I really can't understand the common bug in the HL 8.0 SI.

I fully understand engineering team is very busy and have to deal with lot of things simultationiously because i am a number of engineering team in our Corp.

Yanfeng

• 5. Re: HL 8.0 's Allegro Translator wrongly interprets arc traces.
                  Steve_McKinney

Yanfeng,

Have you filed SRs with regards to the issues that you've seen in HyperLynx PI?  Honestly, I'm a bit surprised to hear that you are seeing a lot of bugs.  I would expect some since it is new software because we can't reasonably test all corners and use cases, but we went through a very intensive testing and QA cycle with the software and a very long beta.  There are several minor defects that had to be postponed in the software for the initial release, but nothing that would have caused issues with stability or accuracy (mainly some usability things).

If you haven't entered SRs already, please do this through the support system so we can track the issues you see.

Best Regards,

-Steve

• 6. Re: HL 8.0 's Allegro Translator:  interpreting arc traces
                    yu.yanfeng

Hi Steve,

I will log PI related SRs in the supportnet late. Our main issue now is that Expeditionpcb 2007.5 can't support to display net in HL 8.0 Linesim from CES for keyin-flow. Befor this issue be covered,  I don't wish to log PI-related SRs at this moment.

We first will try to use HL 8.0 SI in our keyinflow Expeditionpcb and eventualy try to use HL 8.0 PL when the tools matchs our flow.  Currently, We use Ansoft' Siwave 3.5 as our PI tool which is  a good tool having good accuracy,  but lack of features that we wish to have(such as easibility etc). I personally think HL 8.0 PI can perfectly complement to Ansoft Siwave.

A good new is that Mentor may release a update of EE 2007.5 and maybe eliminate this bug(I got this news from Jack chang, Mentor CSE)

Yanfeng