7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2018 5:02 AM by Patrick.Cashman

How to measure Body to Body clearance(Assembly outline to Assembly outline) for component

satish.bidwaik@capgemini.com

Hello,

I want to measure body to body clearance between 2 component . How can I measure.

I have used below Call to measure to find clearance between 2 component, but it gives me Placement outline to Placement Outline clearance.

GetActualMinClearance(cmp1,cmp2,epcbUnitCurrent)

I want to measure clearance for Assembly outline to Assembly Outline between 2 componenet (for e.g capacitor of 0402).

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to measure Body to Body clearance(Assembly outline to Assembly outline) for component
          Patrick.Cashman

1. Get fabricationlayergfxs for each component, of type epcbfabassembly, type 1

2. Get the geometries and pointsarrays of each item in the fabricationlayergfxs collections

3. create a min_distance variable, set it to some very high number

4. create a for loop that cycles through each pointsarray from the first component's fab gfxs

5. Inside that loop, make another loop that cycles through the pointsarrays of the second component's fab gfxs.

6. compute the distance from each point in the two pointsarrays in each loop.

7. If the distance is smaller than the min_distance, set min_distance to that distance

8. Keep going till the looping is all done

9. min_distance will be the minimum distance between the assembly graphics of the two components

Here is a possible function.  I did not verify that it works, but it's pretty much what is needed.

Public Function get_min_assygfx_distance(comp1 As MGCPCB.Component, comp2 As MGCPCB.Component) As Double

Dim min_d, d As Double

Dim geom1, geom2 As MGCPCB.Geometry

Dim ptary1, ptary2 As Object

Dim n, i As Integer

Dim fabgfxs1, fabgfxs2 As MGCPCB.FabricationLayerGfxs

Dim fabgfx1, fabgfx2 As MGCPCB.FabricationLayerGfx

Dim x1, y1, x2, y2 As Double

fabgfxs1 = comp1.FabricationLayerGfxs(1, 0)

fabgfxs2 = comp2.FabricationLayerGfxs(1, 0)

min_d = 10000000000000000

For Each fabgfx1 In fabgfxs1

geom1 = fabgfx1.Geometry

ptary1 = geom1.PointsArray

For Each fabgfx2 In fabgfxs2

geom2 = fabgfx2.Geometry

ptary2 = geom2.PointsArray

For n = 0 To UBound(ptary1, 2)

x1 = ptary1(0, n)

y1 = ptary1(1, n)

For i = 0 To UBound(ptary2, 2)

x2 = ptary2(0, i)

y2 = ptary2(1, i)

d = get_distance(x1, y1, x2, y2)

If d < min_d Then

min_d = d

End If

Next

Next

Next

Next

Return min_d

End Function

Public Function get_distance(x1 As Double, y1 As Double, x2 As Double, y2 As Double) As Double

Dim x, y, r As Double

x = Math.Abs(x2 - x1)

y = Math.Abs(y2 - y1)

r = (x ^ 2 + y ^ 2) ^ 0.5

Return r

End Function

• 2. Re: How to measure Body to Body clearance(Assembly outline to Assembly outline) for component
            juergen.dickler

Maybe that also can help you

ident = pcbDoc.SelectedObjectIds    --> puts all idents of the selected objects in an array

Set mobj1 = pcbDoc.FindObjectById(ident(0))

Set mobj2 = pcbDoc.FindObjectById(ident(1))

myactualclearance = pcbDoc.Clearance.GetActualMinClearance(mobj1, mobj2)

• 3. Re: How to measure Body to Body clearance(Assembly outline to Assembly outline) for component
              satish.bidwaik@capgemini.com

Thanks Patrick for quick response.

I am getting error at below mentioned line. I am getting Geometry for component 1 , but when try to find out PointsArray, it's giving error saying object required.  Can you please help

Set geom1 = fabgfx1.Geometry

MsgBox(geom1.IsRect())  == > it is giving True

Set ptary1 = geom1.PointsArray==> This is failing with Error Object required.

• 4. Re: How to measure Body to Body clearance(Assembly outline to Assembly outline) for component
                matthias.cosaert

The PointsArray is not an object but an array (X,Y,R)

You can also use the GetActualMinClearance on the assembly gfx objects, might be a bit slower but will then also work for filled shapes and arcs:

Const IngoreLineWidths = true 'Set true to measure from centerline on the assembly Gfx (GetActualMinClearance is from edge to edge)

msgbox GetCompPackageClearance(PcbDocObj.components(epcbSelectSelected).item(1),PcbDocObj.components(epcbSelectSelected).item(2)) & "mm"

'=============================================================
                Function GetCompPackageClearance(CompObj1,CompObj2)
                Dim Comp1AssyGfx,Comp2AssyGfx
                Dim MinClearance : MinClearance = -9999

for each Comp1AssyGfx in CompObj1.FabricationLayerGfxs(epcbFabAssembly,epcbSelectAll,epcbSideTopOrBottom)
                     For each Comp2AssyGfx in CompObj2.FabricationLayerGfxs(epcbFabAssembly,epcbSelectAll,epcbSideTopOrBottom)
                        Dim Clearance : Clearance = PcbdocObj.clearance.GetActualMinClearance(Comp1AssyGfx,Comp2AssyGfx,epcbUnitmm)

if IngoreLineWidths = true and Clearance <> 0 then 'option to ignore linewidths
                            Dim LineWidthToIgnore : LineWidthToIgnore = 0
                            if Comp1AssyGfx.geometry.Filled = False then 'Filled shapes have 0 linewidth
                                LineWidthToIgnore = LineWidthToIgnore + Comp1AssyGfx.geometry.LineWidth(epcbUnitmm)/2
                            end if
                            if Comp2AssyGfx.geometry.Filled = False then 'Filled shapes have 0 linewidth
                                LineWidthToIgnore = LineWidthToIgnore + Comp2AssyGfx.geometry.LineWidth(epcbUnitmm)/2
                            end if

Clearance = Clearance + LineWidthToIgnore
                         end if

If MinClearance = -9999 or Clearance < MinClearance then
                             MinClearance = Clearance
                        end if
                    Next
                Next

GetCompPackageClearance = MinClearance

end Function

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 7. Re: How to measure Body to Body clearance(Assembly outline to Assembly outline) for component
                  Patrick.Cashman

Very good method.  I did not know you could use actualminclearance with assembly graphics.

Thank you for posting this solution.