2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2018 12:33 PM by phiet

coordinate system in ECAD-MCAD collaborator

phiet

3D models (partquest, M3DL, vendor) often come in with different coordinate system location then layout geometr , i.e (0,0,0) origin is not necessary the same as (0,0) of the geometries.

In Xpedtion/PADS pro, there's option to mate them in 3D. This is ok, But then when user generate idx to transfer to MCAD (we are using solidworks), the mating operation is not written and transfered (as far as I can see in my testing), so the MCAD reconstructed board have part displaced and oriented differently. In MCAD, we can "remate" again but I wonder how it will affect next time transfer back and forth... will it indicate as a displace movement to the part ?

Does anyone have experience with that ? do you need to have identical origin system for both layout and 3D ? if yes, where does people put down (0,0 for layout geometry ) ?

Thanks everyone for the inputs

• 1. Re: coordinate system in ECAD-MCAD collaborator
          cgoldenbus

You name your cells the same as your 3D models.

For SMT parts origin should be center of the pins /pads as 0,0.

Make sure you keep X, Y ,Z and Theta in the same configuration between the 2.

I always took X=as left to right, Y= top to bottom Z =come out of the screen towards you and theta= rotation

Keep a hint map which forces the mapping of model to cell.

In the past we did it without a hintmap as long as the cells/Parts were named the same as the 3d models.

Also note that if you aren't using EDM librarian you cannot automatically map models to your parts, you'll have to map them manually in your 3d layout.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: coordinate system in ECAD-MCAD collaborator
            phiet

Thanks for the tips