4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2018 6:26 AM by robert_davies

How to connect explicit net to hidden signal pins.

amccarter

Hi, I am having an issue with connecting an explicitly named global node to the power or ground pin of a component because that pin is not shown on the symbol. Instead of power and ground pins it just says, "VCC;8" or "GND;4" when you place the symbol in the schematic. I am using PADS VX2.3, but this is a question I have had since VX2.1. It seems that all of the ICs that come with the standard library all seem to be void of power and pins. At first I assumed you change the value in the property editor under Signal to the desired value. In my case I wanted pin 8 to be connected to a global net that I called "+5V_HAZ" so I changed the value of Signal to read "+5V_HAZ;8". I also connected the +5V_HAZ net symbol to the DC/DC converter that was in my design and then opened the layout tool to verify my theory. I opened the PADS layout tool, imported and dispersed the components, and then looked at the pin in question. When I looked at the pin with net names visible it still said "VCC" as the net for pin 8.

Please help, this should be a simple fix but I am clueless and at wit's end!

Best,

Andrew

• 1. Re: How to connect explicit net to hidden signal pins.
          robert_davies

Use the Supply Rename property with a value pair, in your case the value would be VCC=+5V_HAZ.

Supply Rename = VCC=+5V_HAZ

Look this property up in the PADS Schematic Design Properties Glossary for details. We will post an enhancement request to get a topic on this linked to the Explicit/Implicit topic in the users guide so it is easier to find.

The Signal property is used in the netlist flow which uses a different utility to create a layout netlist file. It is only included in the symbols in the standard library as the symbols were migrated across from the netlist flow and the migration maps them to implicit pins i the PDB.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to connect explicit net to hidden signal pins.
            amccarter

Wow, that is a frustratingly simple answer for something that has been plaguing me for a while now! I have only been doing PCBs for 2 years now and I have not had the gumption to actually ask for help and now I am kicking myself for not asking sooner. I really appreciate the answer! I have not "verified" it yet, but it looks to be correct so I marked it as such.

Best,

Andrew

• 3. Re: How to connect explicit net to hidden signal pins.
              amccarter

One final related question. To be more specific with my situation my ground is also named HAZ_GND. What I noticed was that when I used the property Supply Rename you can only use it one time. Does this mean I have to write both statements under the same property?

Ex: Supply Rename --> VCC=+5V_HAZ;GND=HAZ_GND

or do I write it differently?

Best,

Andrew

• 4. Re: How to connect explicit net to hidden signal pins.
                robert_davies

Yes but I think it is just separated by a space rather than semi-colon. You can also modify the property in the property definitions editor to allow multiple entries, you access this through PADS Library Tools.

1 of 1 people found this helpful