13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2018 2:15 PM by jduquette

How to import properties in the Central Library?

alicia

How to import a set of properties in the Central Library?

The scope is to have the properties written in the Central Library with no intervention of the DataBook.

I've tried this command:

Tools > Propertiy Definition Editor: Advanced: Import

But I don't know how can I generate a .prp on an .asc file.

Are there any sample files?

Thanks,

Alicia

• 1. Re: How to import properties in the Central Library?
          cathy_terwedow

Hi Alicia. Are you using Xpedition or PADS? If you let me know I can move your question to a sub-community where it might get a faster response.

• 2. Re: How to import properties in the Central Library?
            alicia

Hi Cathy,

I'm using PADS Pro 2.3. Since now the 2.4, then my question regards also PADS Pro VX2.4.

Cheers,

Alicia

• 3. Re: How to import properties in the Central Library?
              cathy_terwedow

Okay, all you PADS experts! Can anyone help Alicia with her question about the central library?

• 4. Re: How to import properties in the Central Library?
                jduquette

This might work...  Make sure you back up your libraries before you attempt this.  Someone else can chime in if this technique is only for Standard and Standard Plus but not for Pro.

The Central Library keeps the properties in the PADSLibs\*.pt9 files.  You can access a PADSLibs file directly from Layout (you must open Layout directly, not from DxD, and you probably don't want DxD running while you do this).  Select <File><Libraries> and then press 'Manage Lib. List'.  On the "Library List' dialog box you can enter the library that you want to add the properties to. 

Note that at this point you are accessing your Central Library via the Netlist Flow.  Mentor recommends not doing this but I haven't found an issue with it, yet...  Remember when I said it is a good idea to backup your libraries?  Now is the time...

You can pass properties (Netlist flow calls them attributes) into the library with the 'Import' and 'Export' commands (buttons) with a *.p file.  Here is an example from misc\24C16:

*PADS-LIBRARY-PART-TYPES-V9*

24C16 DIP8 I TTL 8 1 2 0 0
                TIMESTAMP 2004.12.22.19.44.43
                "Sim.Analog.Model"
                "Sim.Analog.Order" Model$
                "Sim.Analog.Prefix"
                "Description" 2048 X 8 BIT I2C BUS EEPROM
                "Cost"
                "Part Number" 24C16
                "Manufacturer #1" XICOR
                "Manufacturer #2"
                GATE 1 6 1
                24C16
                1 0 L A0
                2 0 L A1
                3 0 L A2
                7 0 L TP
                6 0 L SCL
                5 0 T SDA
                SIGPIN 4 GND
                SIGPIN 8 +5V

*END*

You can change any line and import the changes back in.  So if I want to add a Floopy attribute with a value of Yes I'd add the line:

"Floopy" YES

How's your scripting?!  After you import these properties and close Layout, I believe you'll be able to see the updated properties from the Part Editor dialog when you open an Integrated Design.

For more info about the library properties, search your drive where PADS is installed for Plib_ASCII.pdf.

It is probably in "C:\MentorGraphics\{your version}\docs\pdfdocs"

Good luck,

• 5. Re: How to import properties in the Central Library?
                  phiet

pt9 files are only PADS standard and +. Pro use prp file

• 6. Re: How to import properties in the Central Library?
                    phiet

are you adding properties value for each part or you are adding common properties to whole library so that any part can use it ? (maybe populated from databook ?)

• 7. Re: How to import properties in the Central Library?
                      jduquette

Thanks.  That's good to know.  Maybe some day I'll move up to Pro! 

• 8. Re: How to import properties in the Central Library?
                        phiet

Moving to Pro from standard, I'm not sure it's UP or DOWN

Pro have some nice feature, but they took out some other features you used to have in standard and +.

We had some enhancement request for Pro that are actually existing feature on standard and +. Be carefull.

• 10. Re: How to import properties in the Central Library?
                          alicia

I'll try this option, I need to verify if it allows the user to add new properties and their corresponding values. Thanks.

• 11. Re: How to import properties in the Central Library?
                            alicia

Hello,

I'm adding common properties to whole library so that any part can use them. The DataBook is actualy the easiest way to deal with Properties, but when a PCB Designer follows a Netlist flow he has not schematic symbols. Then his central library is very wierd since is has the Symbol item empty. Besides up to VX2.3 the only way to access to the DataBook is from PADS Des. If a user follows a Neltlist flow he does not interact with  PADS Des. The common scenario is a PCB Designer with many schematic customers. That's the reason why I'm looking for a method to import a set of properties in the Central Library the for Parts.

• 12. Re: How to import properties in the Central Library?
                              phiet

Then actually, .prp is ASCII file. Its header shows the syntax / structure . You can take a look at its structure and maybe able to generate .prp file

! sccs_id @(#) \\amadeus\libraries\pads_pro\PADS_library\CentLib.prp Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 15:57

!

!    File containing a list of text properties for use in Mentor Graphics Design

!       Capture.  Lines beginning with an exclamation mark are treated as

!       comments.

!

!       There should be a version entry at the beginning of the file, the

!    version is delimited by the text '*VERSION'.  DO NOT CHANGE THIS LINE.

!       Do not add this line to existing text property files UNLESS the new

!       property fields (font and color) are added for each text property in

!       the file.

!

!    Each new text property entry is delimited by the text '*TEXTPROP'.

!

!    There are twelve or thirteen entries per line. They are :-

!

!        a) the text property type number to be defined, in the range of

!           1-2047. Use our text property numbers for the text properties

!          that we have defined. Numbers in the range 1-220, 256-456 and

!          512-1024 are reserved for use by Mentor Graphics.  Numbers in the

!          range 221-255, 457-511, and 1025-2047 are for user defined

!          properties.

!

!        b) the type of item to which this text is to be attached

!           where the valid entries are

!            LOOSE = loose text attached to no object

!            CELL  = text attached to a symbol

!            PIN   = text attached to a symbol pin

!            NET   = text attached to a net

!            TRANS = text attached to a transition.

!           These item types may be OR'ed together to allow text

!           to be attached to more than one object type. Use the '|'

!           character to indicate OR'ing. ie NET|PIN

!

!        c) maximum number of characters allowed in any text string line

!           of this type ( when entered by the user ). The maximum is 255

!

!        d) the allowed character set in this string ( when typed by the

!           user ) defined as a regular expression. Regular expressions

!           can be built  up from the following "single-character" RE's:

!            c     Any ordinary character not listed below. An

!                ordinary character matches itself.

!            \      Backslash. When followed by a special character,

!                the RE matches the "quoted" character.

!            .     Dot. Matches any single character.

!            [c...]    A non-empty string of characters, enclosed in

!                square brackets matches any single character in

!                the string. For example [abcdef] matches any

!                single character from the set 'abcdef'. When the

!                first character of a string is a caret (^), then

!                the RE matches any character except those in the

!                remainder of the string. For example [^12345]

!                matches any character except '12345'. A caret

!                in any other position is interpreted as an

!                ordinary character.

!            []...]    The right square bracket does not terminate the

!                enclosed string if it is the first character

!                (after and initial '^', if any), in the

!                bracketed string. In this position it is treated

!                as an ordinary character.

!            [l-r]    The minus sign between two characters, indicates

!                a range of consecutive ASCII characters to

!                match. For example, the range '[0-9]' is

!                equivalent to the string '[0123456789]'. The '-'

!                is treated as an ordinary character if it occurs

!                first (or first after an initial '^) or last in

!                the string

!            e*    Closure (repeat) a regular expression zero or

!                more times.

!            e+    One or more occurrences of an expression.

!            e?    Zero or one occurrences of an expression.

!            e1e2    Regular expression concatenation.

!            e1|e2    Match either e1 or e2.

!            (...)    Regular expression may be enclosed in

!                parenthesis to force operator precedence.

!           The operator precedence is '[]', '*+?', concatenation and

!           the operator with the lowest priority is '|'.

!           Some special macros have been pre-defined to ease the task

!           of regular expression construction. Namely:

!               Macro    Equivalence string

!               -----    ------------------

!            \a    [A-Za-z]    any alphabetic character

!            \n    [A-Za-z0-9]    any alphanumeric character

!            \u    [A-Z]        any upper case character

!            \l    [a-z]        any lower case character

!            \d    [0-9]        any digit

!            \e    [^ \t]        any character except white space

!            \w      [ \t]        any white space character

!            \i    (0|[1-9]\d*)    any integer number

!            \r    (\i|\i[.]\d*|[.]\d+)    any real number

!            \f    (\r([eE][-+]?\i)?)    a floating point number

!           An integer is a number like 0, 1, 10, 1000000

!           A real number is a number like 0, 10, 10.2, 0.2, 10., .2

!           A floating point number is something like 5.0, 10.2e-7

!

!        e) the maximum number of lines allowed in this text string.

!           The minimum number is one, the absolute maximum allowed

!           is 127.

!

!        f) the name to be used for this text property. This name is used

!           by the user when selecting the text property or whenever the

!           current text property name is echoed or inquired. The name

!           may contain spaces and it must be enclosed in quotes.

!

!        g) the default text height for text with this property. The

!           height is specified in millimeters(mm) or inches(in).

!

!        h) the default visibility, values allowed are either VISIBLE

!           or INVISIBLE

!

!        i) an entry of SINGLE or MULTIPLE indicating whether multiple

!           entries of this string type may be made on symbols or on

!           symbol pins.

!

!        j) an entry of TEMPLATE or NOTEMPLATE to specify whether, by

!           default, strings placed inside a symbol by the symbol editor

!           may be edited once the symbol is placed in the schematic. If

!           the string is TEMPLATE'd then it may be edited in the

!           schematic.

!

!        k) the default font name used when placing new instances of

!           this text property.

!

!        l) the default color number used when placing new instances of

!           this text property.  Please refer to the Mentor Graphics Design

!                  Capture User's Guide for definition of default colors.

!

!               m) the display list field indicates which tools will display the

!                  the property when presenting lists of property types.

!                  1 is schematic/symbol editors only,

!                  2 is PDB Editor Only,

!                  3 is schematic/symbol editors and PDB Editor,

!                  4 is Parts Manager Only,

!                  5 is schematic/symbol editors and Parts Manager,

!                  6 is PDB Editor and Parts Manager and

!                  7 is schematic/symbol editors, PM and PDB Editor.

!

!               n) the storage type field indicates that the property should be

!                  converted when stored in the PDB Editor or Parts Manager

!                  1 indicates it should be stored as an integer

!                  2 indicates it should be stored as a real

!                  3 indicates it should remain as a string

!

!               o) the transfer field indicates that the property should be

!                  transferred from the component property in the PDB to

!                  the schematic by Place Device and Packager.  If this field

!                  is set to 1, the property will be transferred.  If this

!                  field is set to 0, it will not be transferred.

!

!               p) the ignore notation indicates that dialogs which are

!                  converting properties based on the user selected notation,

!                  should not convert properties of this type, but leave them

!                  as is.  If this field is set to 1, the notation will be

!                  ignored.  If this field is set to 0, the notation will be

!           used.  This field is ignored if item n) above is set to 3.

!

!        q) this field controls which subset of dialogs in the editors

!           expose the property to the user (Hexadecimal):

!            01 is DxDesigner Properties Dialog, Symbol Editor and I/O Designer

!            02 is DxDesigner Edit Model Properties Dialog and Symbol Editor

!            03 is DxDesigner Properties dialog, DxDesigner Edit Model Dialog

!               and Symbol Editor

!            04 is reserved

!            05-07 not used

!            08 is reserved

!            09-FF not used

!

!

!               All used text properties need to be defined in this file, and

!               those that are must have the first twelve entries present.

!

!               Each entry on a line is delimited from the next by white space.

!

!               Current version of the text properties file.

*VERSION      16

!

*TEXTPROP  2  CELL 32  ".*"  1  "Part Name"  0.080in  INVISIBLE  SINGLE  TEMPLATE  "Default"  6  1  3  1  1  1

*TEXTPROP  4  PIN 241  "(\n|,)*"  7  "Pin Number"  0.080in  VISIBLE  SINGLE  TEMPLATE  "Default"  6  1  3  0  1  1

• 13. Re: How to import properties in the Central Library?
                                jduquette

Ah yes, the .prp file.  I last worked on one of those about two and a half years ago with PADS ES.  Of course Pro is still using the old version before the Central Library got introduced to Standard and Standard Plus.  Sigh.