9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2018 7:06 AM by chuckt

3D export messed up in VX.2.4?

kbak

I have started to take a look at VX.2.4. Especially in the 3D area.

I can see a huge change in the 3D Export function compared to VX.2.2 ( I don't know in VX.2.3).

It is great that it is now possible to export Silkscreen and Solder Mask.

However - now it is not one single .step file. Multiple step files are created.

See example below.

In VX.2.2 both board, components and copper are included in one single .step file.

In VX.2.4 separate .step files are created for board and components, Copper Top, Copper 2, Copper 3, Copper Bottom, Silkscreen, Solder Mask.

Anyone have an opinion of this way? So far it seems to make the step export useless to us.

Step export now split into multiple files.png

regards

Klaus

• 1. Re: 3D export messed up in VX.2.4?
          wheelspcb

Would be nice to have the option to export as a single file and the new way. Happy to get component holes now.

Here is what Mentor said " VX2.4 exports STEP in layers now with the ability to include Metal for Pins and Vias as well. Data is there importing CAD tool used to build the layers. This was changed to reduce STEP export size. Not every user wants the same amount of data, and it’s going to be limited user input. PADS is not a CAD tool, PADS 3D is a viewer with additional functionality."

You can us a tool like FREECAD to create of single file step file of the layers you want.

• 2. Re: 3D export messed up in VX.2.4?
            chuckt

Another example of technology moving... backwards.

The addition of holes & labels on silkscreen does not justify splitting it into separate files. I thought they were trying to catch up to Altium's 3D capabilities, not widen the gap.

c

• 3. Re: 3D export messed up in VX.2.4?
              kbak

Yes. This is a big disappointment.

I had looked forward to start using step files instead of using IDF format when sending data to our MCAD system.

But it seems this will not be the case now.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any requests for Beta testers for VX.2.4. Otherwise this would definitely have been one of my comments if I had been a part of the Beta test.

Well - now it is added to Mentor Ideas:

Make 3D step export to a single file

/Klaus

• 4. Re: 3D export messed up in VX.2.4?
                kbak

I don't get the response from Mentor:

".... This was changed to reduce STEP export size. Not every user wants the same amount of data, and it’s going to be limited user input. PADS is not a CAD tool, PADS 3D is a viewer with additional functionality."

If no user wants the same amount of data, then let it be up to the user to decide what to include in the data and how it must be exported.

This must NOT be specified from a person at Mentor who are not going to work with the 3D export in the real world.

As you wrote: "Would be nice to have the option to export as a single file and the new way."

I don't like the need for using yet another piece of software to handle the multiple step files - just because Mentor for some reason has misunderstood something.

It is added to Mentor Ideas.

• 5. Re: 3D export messed up in VX.2.4?
                  jduquette

Devils advocate - can't you just pull the STP files of interest into your MCAD system and constrain them back together?  You have more files to deal with (hey, like Altium!) but you haven't lost any information.  It would be much nicer to just export the layers of interest. 

Your link to Mentor Ideas didn't work for me and points to a page listed as 'unauthorized' on the Mentor site.  Is that link working for anyone else?

John D

• 6. Re: 3D export messed up in VX.2.4?
                    cathy_terwedow

Hi John. Klaus' link works; just be sure you're logged in.

• 7. Re: 3D export messed up in VX.2.4?
                      kbak

Hi John

Yes - the step files can manually be combined in the MCAD system - I guess - I am not a MCAD engineer.

We use CATIA as MCAD tool and the engineer says it is very time consuming to handle this.

And - why split the data in the first place - just for the need to combine them in the MCAD system?

I think it must be up to the user to define whether to have one single file or multiple files.

• 8. Re: 3D export messed up in VX.2.4?
                        ma

Mentors 3D capabilities have been a disappointment over years. If Mentor has no idea how 3D should work - look at altium at a fraction of the cost...

Sad but true.

• 9. Re: 3D export messed up in VX.2.4?
                          chuckt

No MCAD tool here.