1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 6, 2018 10:40 AM by tmiddleton

    Schematic not showing Refdes and has negative Ids

    tmiddleton

      **Note this is on PADS 9.5**

      I'm having an odd problem that is only happening on one particular sheet in my schematic.

      Here is what I did:

      I took the page (along with others not exhibiting this issue) from an existing schematic and I scrubbed the off-sheet connectors in exchange for port connectors. I put this page along with the other pages I copied from the SAME base schematic into a Block. I then scrubbed the REFDES from the parts.

      What has happened now is that when I push to PADs via PCB Interface... it seems to create a proper netlist. I can locate the signals and refdes inside of the generated asc file. They even show the correct mapping such as:

      *SIGNAL* $21I16\VN5_DRVUV
      U9.19 R540.2
      R540.2 R541.1
      

      What is somewhat peculiar, is that every net and symbol has a negative Id. So for example, VN5_DRVUV  is $-5N510 and I've Identified U9 as $-5I1156. However the REFDES is not getting updated on the schematic, so U9 shows up as U? in both of my instantiations of the block. Every Symbol and Net on that sheet is showing up as $-5N* or $-5I*. Note that other sheets that seem to be working do not have the negative Id.

      From the copied location, the $-5N510 is $1N510 and the $-5I1156 is $1I1156.

      I don't entirely want to just tear up the current schematic unless need be to fix it. As it is, I'm not sure I can just Add to the existing sheet as they all are added as the $-5N/$-5I Ids that I think might be the problem.

      Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks!

        • 1. Re: Schematic not showing Refdes and has negative Ids
          tmiddleton

          I ended up just manually determining the reference designators through net names and also by applying Instance value parameters to items where netnames were not unique enough to determine (i.e. caps on power) recording that information, creating a new sheet, copying the components from the sheet (not copying the sheet itself) then pasting the page's schematic onto the new sheet. Then deleting the "broken" sheet. I then did a layout sync and followed up by changing the reference designators on the instantiation to match what I found before.

          I would still like to know if there is a better solution, or what may have caused this in the first place to avoid this happening again.