6 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2009 12:25 AM by Joel_Pointon

VeSys 2.0:  Is there a way to stop the postgres.exe running?

Joel_Pointon

After installing VeSys 2.0 I get around 16 postgres.exe processes running, each of these are around 9 or 10Mb as I'm still using VeSys Classic as my main drawing tool is there a way to disable all of these processes and free up my system resources?

A couple of years ago I had CHS installed which also had some processes running by default, I either wrote a .bat file or copied one from someone that either Disabled or Enabled these processes - is there a similar thing available for VeSys 2.0?  If so can someone post it on this forum?

• 1. Re: VeSys 2.0:  Is there a way to stop the postgres.exe running?
          dave_wallace

The processes are essential for VeSysManager to run. If you stop the VeSysManager service or process you will see that most of the Postgres processes go away with it.

• 2. Re: VeSys 2.0:  Is there a way to stop the postgres.exe running?
            Joel_Pointon

I appreciate that these are required when you want to run VeSys 2.0 but I don't want anything VeSys 2.0 related running unless I ask it to, 160Mb worth although not huge is quite significant (assuming these are running all of the time).  So will VeSys Manager automatically run when you boot your system?  I know when I first installed VeSys 2.0 there were some processes (or services) that were running even without running VeSys 2.0 - sorry I can't remember what they are unless I close VeSys 2.0 and reboot and I'm being lazy by not doing that myself now.

It may sound a bit petty but I hate things running and using resources when they aren't required...I'm a bit of control freak when it comes to running processes/cluttered desktops/etc - I'm even sad enough to rebuild my PC without all of the extras that Dell supply only adding the tools I use.

• 3. Re: VeSys 2.0:  Is there a way to stop the postgres.exe running?
              dave_wallace

1. Right Click on 'My Computer' and choose 'Manage' fromt he context menu

2. When the dialog comes up expand the 'Services and Applications' tree node and select the 'Services' node when it appears

3. On the right hand side locate the 'VeSysManager' service and double click on the entry

4. Change the startup type to 'Manual' and stop the service

5. Do the same for the 'VeSys Embedded Database' service

No they will never start when windows starts and al lthe processes will stop.

To then run VeSys 2.0 you will have to come back into this dialog and start both services.

Make sure you start the database before you start the Manager service.

Cheers

Dave

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: VeSys 2.0:  Is there a way to stop the postgres.exe running?
                Joel_Pointon

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information, I have been doing that but it is slow and annoying.  When I had CHS I used a .bat file with netuse or something - apologises for the lack of detail it was so long ago I had the Start/Stop Services file.

• 5. Re: VeSys 2.0:  Is there a way to stop the postgres.exe running?
                  Nuri

Hi Sledge_Hammer,

Dave's answer is correct, simply configure the services to run as manual ("VeSysManager 2009.0" and "VeSys Embedded Database 2009.0").  When you want to run VeSys 2.0 simply start these services 1st, you can do this my accessing the services dialog (as Dave described), or you can create a .bat file.

NET START "VeSysManager 2009.0"

NET START "VeSys Embedded Database 2009.0"

Thanks,

Nuri

PS to stop the services using a batch simply use;

NET STOP "VeSys Embedded Database 2009.0" /YES

The "/YES" will stop Manager and Database

• 6. Re: VeSys 2.0:  Is there a way to stop the postgres.exe running?
                    Joel_Pointon

Hi Nuri,

I have created the .bat file and it works well, thanks.