AnsweredAssumed Answered

Padstack - Shorted_Nets_by_Layer

Question asked by ChangeMe_116199 on Jan 29, 2020

Hello fellow designers,

Long time PADS user here but a newbie into Xpedition....so please bear with me.

I like this capability of shorting a net by layer in a padstack, however, I haven't figured out how to do it efficiently when large number of such intended shorted nets are involved in a design. 

What I found was that, the shorted-nets-by-layer can only be done one pad at a time. If I have 20 identical vias on net GND but want to short them to GND_A on layer 1, I'd have to go though the padstack property editor 20 times. Because whenever I select more than one vias and try to edit the padsatck property, I get shut out of the shorted-nets-by-layer part of the dialog window.

There's gotta be a better way of doing it than that, that I'm not aware of, me thinks.

Now that I have 25 blocks of such circuit in a design, each has a set of 20 GND vias with layer-1 pad required shorted to GND_A, GND_B .......  GND_Y, I realized to my horror that I'd have to go through the same padstack property editing process 500 times. This is getting ridiculous, especially for a lazy person like me.

You must have come to my rescue with the great feature of Layout-Circuit-Clipboard, eh? Tried that, it is a wonderful feature except that none of the shorted-nets settings in the mother-circuit gets carried over, all lost. No go.

There's gotta be a better way of doing it than that, that I'm not aware of, me thinks.

Fumbling in the dark, I'd greatly appreciate anyone shedding a light.

Regards,

Shaoyi

Outcomes