9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2009 9:55 AM by chris_balcom

Calibre RVE: A Tale of Two GUIs

john_bierbauer

This thread will be used to log questions and answers regarding the new Calibre RVE GUI.  Participants in our upcoming webinar, "Calibre RVE: A Tale of Two GUIs," are encouraged to use this thread to ask questions and share answers.

• 1. Re: Calibre RVE: A Tale of Two GUIs
          chris_balcom

Hi John,

I'd like to attend. Do I need to pre-register somewhere?

Thanks,

-chris

• 2. Re: Calibre RVE: A Tale of Two GUIs
            john_bierbauer

Chris,

Registration is required for the RVE webinar.  To register, click here or follow the link found in today's SupportPro newsletter or open TechNote mg247789 from SupportNet.

John B.

• 3. Re: Calibre RVE: A Tale of Two GUIs
              john_bierbauer

We are still accepting registrations fot the July 1 RVE webinar.  Click here to register for the session of your choice and for a chance to win an iPod Nano.  By the way, all webinar attendees will be eligible to receive a 20% tuition discount for all training taken during July (the discount does not apply to Passbook accounts) - details will be provided at the end of the webinar.

• 4. Re: Calibre RVE: A Tale of Two GUIs
                Yaosan

I would like to know how can I get rid of the "Welcome to Calibre RVE" that pops up everytime I start up a new RVE window? This only applies to the new GUI, the classic RVE doesn't have this issue. Thanks in advance!

• 5. Re: Calibre RVE: A Tale of Two GUIs
                  john_bierbauer

There are three things you can do when the welcome dialog box pops up:

1. Take the tour of the new RVE GUI.

2. Indicate that you do not want to take the tour.

3. Postpone taking the tour to a later time.

Options 1 and 2 will set a flag that should prevent the welcome dialog from popping up again; option 3 will cause the welcome dialog to popup again the next time RVE is started.

I am away from my computer right now, so I cannot tell you exactly which buttons to press in the welcome dialog.  Perhaps the above information will be sufficient for you to determine which buttons correspond to which of the three options. If you need more help, please respond to this post and I will provide a more detailed answer next week.

John Bierbauer - Mentor Graphics Education Services

• 6. Re: Calibre RVE: A Tale of Two GUIs
                    john_bierbauer

Here is a screen shot of the new Calibre RVE welcome dialog box:

calibre_welcome_dialog.jpg

When this dialog box appears, you have three choices:

1. Click the "Tour of New RVE" link to view the tour video and clear the welcome dialog flag.

2. Click "OK" to by-pass the tour and clear the welcome dialog flag.

3. Click "Later" to by-pass the tour and leave the welcome dialog flag turned on.

Options 1 and 2 will clear the flag that causes Calibre to open the welcome dialog box at start-up, thus preventing future display of the dialog box.  Option 3 will leave the welcome dialog flag turned on, thus causing the welcome dialog box to open again the next time RVE is opened.

My thanks to Chris Balcom, one of our senior Calibre support engineers, for providing the above screen shot.

John Bierbauer

Mentor Graphics Education Services

• 7. Re: Calibre RVE: A Tale of Two GUIs
                      Yaosan

Thanks John for the explanation about the welcome flag. I think my problem is related to using the classic RVE and the new RVE at the same time. Once the flag is cleared, everytime I uses the classic RVE, it clears the setting for my new RVE, which probably set the welcome flag back to the default i.e. ON state.

• 8. Re: Calibre RVE: A Tale of Two GUIs
                        john_bierbauer

Yaosan, I was able to keep the new RVE welcome dialog turned off by doing the following:

1. Open the DRC results database using the new RVE.

2. When the welcome dialog appears, choose OK.

3. Close RVE.

4. Open the DRC results database again using the new RVE and verify that the welcome dialog box does not appear.

5. While in the new RVE, choose Options: Session > Use Classic RVE.

6. Click Apply.

7. Close RVE.

8. Open DRC result database, now using the classic RVE.

9. In classic RVE, choose Menu: Setup > Options > View > Use new RVE.

10. Click OK.

11. Close RVE.

12. Open the DRC result database again using the new RVE and note that the dialog box does not appear.

I executed the above steps using Calibre 2009.3_32.24.  I think that steps 3 and 4, closing the new RVE and re-opening the new RVE with the welcome dialog box flag cleared, may be needed to permanently turn off the flag.  If you continue to experience this problem, I would suggest that you submit a Serive Request (SR) on the SupportNet website.

John Bierbauer

Mentor Graphics Education Services

• 9. Re: Calibre RVE: A Tale of Two GUIs
                          chris_balcom

In case it helps... the actual switch setting can be viewed in the ".rvedb" file within your home directory. The related line from my personal file looks like this:

*cmnWelcomeDialogShown: v2009.3_32.24