3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 10:21 AM by Jerry_Suiter

Is Expeditionpcb Enterprise an Enterprise Board Design Flow?

yu.yanfeng

If you read Mentor's marketing paper and ppts, you may believe it is. If you are a real desinger to deal with complex designs daily, I believe you will say it's not yet, but may be 24 month later.

Supporse you use up-to-date 2007.6, Do you open Dxdesigner, Expeditionpcb, CES and HL concurrently on a common pc with 2G memory, Duo cores box?  It isn't possible to me for doing this because the memory space overs.  I don't think I need to buy a new box with 4G or more memory to make it runnable. I hope Mentor can think this issue. Another question is Expeditionpcb's stability. It crashs daily and the up-to-date release often run out memory. Last issue is that the poor intergration between CES and HL 8.0 Linsim, most of Enets' topology is wronly extracted if series not assigned with IBIS model.

Yanfeng

• 1. Re: Is Expeditionpcb Enterprise an Enterprise Board Design Flow?
          Jerry_Suiter

Hello,

Thanks for your question but I think the details in your examples may be a little simplistic.  Here are my thoughts:

·        There is a lot more to an Enterprise Flow than the few valid items you point out.  An Enterprise Flow typically must support design across teams, domains and even geography.  Teams may include different types of engineer front-end, signal integrity, layout, librarian, fpga, RF, mechanical, manufacturing and so on.  This is why we are focused on automation, flow collaboration and concurrency.

o  Automation – Reducing the number of manual steps by automating features as much as possible.

o  Collaboration – Collaboration in schematic entry, constraints and PCB layout allowing teams to quickly go from concept to physical design.

o  Concurrency – Allowing Enterprise customers to reduce design cycle time by highly integrated tools across the flow supporting multi-user parallelized design processes.

·        You raise an issue specific to hardware requirements.  Please consider that most systems sold for home use have a minimum of 4GB of RAM.  For less than $1,000 US, muti-core systems with 8GB of RAM, running a 64 bit OS can be purchased.  Modern software and operating systems require more and more powerful hardware to run the increasing number of applications simultaneously and the price point versus productivity gain should not be a barrier for an enterprise customer.

For your other points, let me provide some details:

·        Running out of memory – In 2007.6 we added improvements to let the user know when their system is getting close to exceeding the address space for the Expedition PCB process.  Along with this, we give the user the option to flush out the undo buffer to free up additional address space for our process.

·        In order to fully understand the cause of your stability issues, I highly recommend that you contact our customer support so that we can figure out the cause. We place high importance on software stability, and our experience is that through all of the 2007.x releases we have demonstrated increased stability with positive customer feedback.

·        Memory Consumption – We continuously are looking for ways to optimize memory consumption.  For example, we have made significant improvements in this area specific to Expedition PCB with the 2007.7 release.  Based on 10 customer testcases if I toss out the high and low designs we are seeing a reduction of 28% to 55% in the amount of memory required to initially load a design.  These are designs that range in memory consumption 600MB-3.6GB, and a design over 3GB that showed a 46% reduction in memory from 3596 to 1926 MB to load.

Regards,

Jerry Suiter

ExpeditionPCB/XtremePCB Product Marketing Manager

• 2. Re: Is Expeditionpcb Enterprise an Enterprise Board Design Flow?
            yu.yanfeng

Hi Jerry,

It's a great news to me that 2007.7 reduce the memory footprint hugely!

When 2007.7 release? I am in a process to plan migrating to 2007.6 in the end of Aug. If 2007.7 released in Aug, I hope we can migrate to 2007.7 instead of 2007.6.

Thans much

Yanfeng

• 3. Re: Is Expeditionpcb Enterprise an Enterprise Board Design Flow?
              Jerry_Suiter

Hello,

The 2007.7 release information is published on our SupportNet at http://supportnet.mentor.com/news/bsd_planned_releases.cfm

Regards,

Jerry Suiter

ExpeditionPCB/XtremePCB Product Marketing Manager