9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2018 9:54 AM by weston_beal

How to use encrypted spice model in Hyperlynx 8.0

bruce_qin

I got the encrypted spice model (.inc file)  which can't be read/edit by wordpad or other text editor but can be used in Hspice. So how to use this encrypted spice model in Hyperlynx 8.0?

• 1. Re: How to use encrypted spice model in Hyperlynx 8.0
          yu.yanfeng

Hi Qin,

To use encrypted Hspice model in any 3rd party SI tools such as Hyperlynx,SQ etc, you have to have Hspice installed on the same machine.  In Hyperlynx 8.0, you can select the simulation engines from Eldo/ADMS, Hspice, ADMSI, and Full ADMS, all based on your license. In HL 8.0, the menu is Setup-Opition-General-Preference(Eldo/Spice).

Mentor have published an applicaiton note abou how to use Hspice, you can learn the detail steps from this application note.

Yanfeng

• 2. Re: How to use encrypted spice model in Hyperlynx 8.0
            bruce_qin

Thanks yanfeng.

Actually, I have this application note in hand and I can set all the options required. But I'm failed when trying to assign the encrypted spice model to the part. In my opinion, this is caused by the model itself, for I can make it with the spice model( also with a .inc suffix ) offered by Mentor. Beside that, there is some difference between these two models: I can read the spice model offered by Mentor using a text editor like workpad, but my model can't be opened.

• 3. Re: How to use encrypted spice model in Hyperlynx 8.0
              cuong

Within the spice deck (ie. *.sp) you'll need to expose the port(s) using the ".subckt" statement so HyperLynx can see the ports.

Check with your vendor to make sure that the subcircuit statement is there in the encrypted HSPICE file.

• 4. Re: How to use encrypted spice model in Hyperlynx 8.0
                bruce_qin

Thanks cuong.

Now the fact is that I can use sub-circuit call statement (Xsubckt) in Hspice to use this model; it means there is sub-circuit definition statement(.sbuckt) in the model.  Even though, I can't use this model directly in Hyperlynx. Fortunately, I can slove this problem by making a new .inc file to redefine the sub-circuit using a .subckt statement. I'm not sure is this situation right or not.

• 5. Re: How to use encrypted spice model in Hyperlynx 8.0
                  patrick.filippi

Hello, I am trying to run spice simulation with Hyperlynx rather than IBIS.

Ihave HL 9.4.2 SI/PI,

I have been able to run a very simple test case in LineSim, with one receiver and one driver. spice models are not encrypted.

For this simulation it takes almost 2 hours to complete ! I know spice simulation may take a long time but could it be something related to my setup ?

This is with ADMS native HL version.

I wanted to try with HSPICE + using multiCPU options, but I do not know where to get a HSPICE simulator. It looks like HSPICE is under control of Synopsis ?

Thank you for any help.

• 6. Re: How to use encrypted spice model in Hyperlynx 8.0
                    weston_beal

Patrick,

First, all the comments in this discussion apply to your case.

SPICE transistor-level simulations often take many hours to run. It's mostly a function of the number of nodes in the whole circuit.

If your buffer model is encrypted for HSPICE, only HSPICE can read the file and simulate the circuit. You must have HSPICE licensed and installed separately since it is owned by Synopsys. See this Support Center article about setting up HSPICE with HyperLynx SI.

https://support.mentor.com/knowledge-base/MG48329

When you run the simulation in the Digital Oscilloscope of HyperLynx SI you can specify HSPICE as the simulator to use.

You need to be familiar with SPICE input file syntax so you can create the wrapper subcircuit that becomes the model for HyperLynx. Beyond the hints in this discussion, your case might get complicated and become more involved than what we can deal with in this forum. When you have specific questions then feel free to post them for specific assistance.

Regards,

Weston

• 7. Re: How to use encrypted spice model in Hyperlynx 8.0
                      patrick.filippi

Dear Weston, many thanks for quick response.

Let's say I have non-encrypted spice models, by either using HyperSim, or ADMS or HSPICE as the simulator, will it take about the same simulation time ?

Where can I find the differences between (HyperSim, or ADMS) with HSPICE ?

Thanks again. If I need more help I'll open a support case.

• 8. Re: How to use encrypted spice model in Hyperlynx 8.0
                        patrick.filippi

I forgot,

regarding your remark:

You need to be familiar with SPICE input file syntax so you can create the wrapper subcircuit that becomes the model for HyperLynx.

What is described in this AppNote 5607A "Method For Adapting HSPICE Models For Use in HyperLynx Simulation" is ok to learn to do that ?

Thanks

• 9. Re: How to use encrypted spice model in Hyperlynx 8.0
                          weston_beal

Patrick,

HyperSim cannot simulate SPICE transistor models. If you have assigned a SPICE model for a buffer, HyperLynx SI will automatically run the simulation in ADMS. This works fine as long as the SPICE file is not encrypted for HSPICE. If you have an HSPICE encrypted file then the simulation has to run in HSPICE. The simulation time is generally a little bit faster in ADMS, but not always. If you have only IBIS models assigned, you can run the simulation in the 3 different simulators and compare the run times. HyperSim will run faster because it is optimized for transmission line circuit simulations.

If you follow all the steps outlined in the appnote that you referenced then you should be able to assign the SPICE model in HyperLynx SI and run the simulation.

For comparison of the different simulator capabilities, look in the HyperLynx SI/PI User Guide and find the section Supported SI Models and Simulators.

Regards,

Weston