11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2009 2:20 AM by Joel_Pointon

Exporting VeSys Design to NX3

emiliano.cipriani

Hello,

I have design a simple piece of circuit in VeSys Design comprising of a "connector - wire - relay base - relay - relay base - wire - connector". Then, I synchronised the design in VeSys Harness and added terminal crimps and cavity plugs on the connectors. I want to export all this info to NX3. How do I do it? Do I need to export 2 files for harness and design?

Regards,

Emil

• 1. Re: Exporting VeSys Design to NX3
          Joel_Pointon

Hi,

The export for NX is from VeSys Design only.  This exports wire data into a .hrn file and the connector data into .cmp file.

• 2. Re: Exporting VeSys Design to NX3
            emiliano.cipriani

Is it possible to export harness data to NX? I mean, not just connection and component data, but also crimp, and other accessories part numbers...

Regards,

Emil

• 3. Re: Exporting VeSys Design to NX3
              Joel_Pointon

VeSys Design exports the data and so you would have to put the connector part number into VeSys Design (or import this back from VeSys Harness).  Usually NX is used only for packaging of the Harness within the 3D model and so Connectors/Wires are typically the only requirement, in fact I'm not even sure whether the hrn/cmp files supports anything like terminals and other components.

Is there a specific reason you need more information to import into NX?

• 4. Re: Exporting VeSys Design to NX3
                emiliano.cipriani

Hi Sledge_Hammer,

first of all thank you for your prompt reply. In our designs we have instances where multiple wires connect to a single circuit breaker through ring tags (i.e. many ring tags are stacked together on one circuit breaker terminal). I was struggling with drawing this in VeSys Design. Ring tags where represented as connectors, but could not connect more than 1 connector to one device pin. Then Nuri Zughaid suggested looking at the Harness package to get round this problem, using the cavity management option, so I went down this route. We eventually want to export the finished design into NX3 for 3D routing.

Hope it makes sense

Emil

• 5. Re: Exporting VeSys Design to NX3
                  Joel_Pointon

Emil,

After reading your last post I realised that you are using VeSys 2.0 whereas my suggestions were for VeSys Design Classic

In VeSys Classic there may be a possbile workaround if you use a dummy connector, this could also work in VeSys 2.0 (I've done a small amount of work on it so can't guarantee these will work!).   Anyway you would create a 'dummy' connector maybe 10 Pins, each of these pins is actually the Ring Tag.  On the device you'd then have C100-1, C100-2, etc and the naming could indicate they are Ring Tags, VeSys Design should then let you have multiple pins on the Device.  These pins could then be linked with a virtual wire or the VeSys 2.0 equivalent.

• 6. Re: Exporting VeSys Design to NX3
                    emiliano.cipriani

Sledge_Hammer,

that's good thinking, but it only works when all the ring tags have the same part number. VeSys 2.0 allows to connect one connector part number per device pin. The connector can then have more than one pin, but electrically VeSys will only connect 1 connector pin to 1 device pin.

The attached drawing should help clarify what I'm talking about.

Regards,

Emil

• 7. Re: Exporting VeSys Design to NX3
                      Joel_Pointon

Hi Emil,

The idea I suggested would actually support multiple terminals, in fact that suggestion is used in order to enable automatic selection of Ring Tags.  You setup a dummy connector that may have 3 available Ring Tags for each 'fake' pin, each of these Ring Tags could be for different sizes of Wire i.e. one for 0.5 to 1.0, one for 1.2 to 2.5 and one for 3.0 to 4.0 VeSys would then pick the appropriate Ring Tag for the wire even though you as the user have only asked for a Fake 'Connector' called M8 Ring Tag or 1/4 inch Ring Tag.

Can you not manually bridge those pins with a conductor somehow?

• 8. Re: Exporting VeSys Design to NX3
                        emiliano.cipriani

Sledge_Hammer,

When adding a connector part in VeSys Components, there is a "Single Wire Fits Cavity" and a "Multiple Wire Fits Cavity" option. With these options I can set types of wires to be used for each cavity. I don't understand how to get multiple ring tag part numbers within one connector. Do you name the pins as the ring tag part numbers?

Regards,

Emil

• 9. Re: Exporting VeSys Design to NX3
                          Joel_Pointon

Hi Emil,

I've only had a bit of tuition on VeSys 2.0 and my main use of the software has been to evaluate it on behalf of an existing customer to see what benefits/problems they may have if they moved over to it.  As we are evaluating based on a migration my experience of VeSys Components 2.0 is fairly limited - mainly because we imported much of the data from VeSys Components Classic.  From the work I've done I don't think you use those fields to specify the terminals I'm fairly sure you add them to the connector as you would for any other attached part but then somehow have to list the pins/cavities they are suitable for.

• 10. Re: Exporting VeSys Design to NX3
                            emiliano.cipriani

Adding/attaching parts/terminals to the connector seems to be the way forward. Unfortunatelly I'm not sure how to do it and if It can be done in VeSys 2.0. I've sent an e-mail to Nuri Zughaid at Mentor Graphics for help.

• 11. Re: Exporting VeSys Design to NX3
                              Joel_Pointon

Hi Emil,

In my initial evaluation I also try to use the 'Single Wire fits Cavity' to assign terminals , Nuri should be able to point you in the right direction.  I think there is either a VeSys Components 2.0 Test Drive available or one in development so you should look to get your hands on that.