13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 7:22 AM by Nuri

Quick way to import supplier device transmittal information into VeSys

Zak@ESG

I am trying to figure out how I can quickly import supplier device transmittal information from an excel spread sheet into VeSys.  Does any one have any experience with this process?   have attached an example device transmittal that I am working with for reference.  

• 1. Re: Quick way to import supplier device transmittal information into VeSys
          Joel_Pointon

Hi,

I can't seem to download or open that spreadsheet, can you e-mail it to me?  My address is:  joel.pointon@eds-design.co.uk

• 2. Re: Quick way to import supplier device transmittal information into VeSys
            Joel_Pointon

I've had a quick look over your example document and it would certainly be possible to import the Wire Data into VeSys Design or VeSys Harness but this would likely require a macro to convert the data into a VeSys readable format.  To update the Device information is more tricky and although this too may be possible.

• 3. Re: Quick way to import supplier device transmittal information into VeSys
              Joel_Pointon

If you describe which pieces of data your would like to import and into which tool I may be able to help you out a little further.

• 4. Re: Quick way to import supplier device transmittal information into VeSys
                Zak@ESG

I would like to import all information from the device transmittal into VeSys 2.0 Design to serve as the central repository so that if there was a change in the device (pin-out, load info) the change would be automatically caried into the logical schematic within VeSys design.  Ultimately, I am looking for a tool to serve as a "Device Transmittal Database" that would auto-generate logical schematics and also provide an output (*.DSI, *.XML, etc.) to a wire-harness suplier.  If you know of any tools that would be better suited for this type of development, I am very interested in learning about them!  

• 5. Re: Quick way to import supplier device transmittal information into VeSys
                  Nuri

Hi,

Again, I am unable to view the Excel document (maybe due to the ~ in the device name).  I would like to know what your trying to achieve, if the spreadsheet contains connectivity then VeSys 2.0 might not be the right solution, however CHS can import connectivity and can use this to automatically generate wiring diagrams (from nothing or using a prototype).  If however, the spreadsheet contains device information then this could be imported into VeSys 2.0 Components then used in VeSys 2.0 Design.

Either way, knowing what you are trying to acheive would help a lot,

Thanks,

Nuri

• 6. Re: Quick way to import supplier device transmittal information into VeSys
                    Joel_Pointon

I can see why you may want to import the data from this document but there are a number of issues you may have to overcome.  For example how would your Device Transmittal define:

1. Which Wires are spliced together?
                    2. Which Wires cannot be spliced together?
                    3. How the inline connections between harnesses are managed?
                    4. Layout of the Schematic?

I know a rules based system could resolve many of these question but this could potentially be a lot of rules, also you will still only have generated the connectivity data for the wire harness supplier and not the harness layout.  Another potential issue is that your master document is an Excel file, if this is un-intelligent in that it doesn't validate all data inputted by the user it could be that you some wires are not automatically connected to a Device because of a Typo.  At least with a graphical schematic if you have drawn a wire/net from point A to point B it should have connectivity between those two points.  I'm not fully convinced that a fully automated layout of the schematic is achievable, I know there are some good auto-layouts for PCB tools but Schematics need to be readable by humans and so the aesthetic aspect is very important - the tools that do layout schematics automatically only seem good for simple schematics or require a reasonable degree of user input to clean up the drawing.

To answer your final question I've not seen any software in the companies I have worked at (primarily automotive) that could achieve a fully automated process as you've described.  Mentor Graphics have CHS which will almost certainly be able to read in the data but I'm not sure whether it would meet your exact requirements.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Quick way to import supplier device transmittal information into VeSys
                      Zak@ESG

Hi Nuri,

Thank you for your interest.  As I have stated in my reply to "Sledge_Hammer" -I am trying to use VeSys as both a logical system design tool AND a device transmittal repository.  The logical schematic generation capability is fantastic, however I am struggling with how VeSys can be used for maintaining the collection of device transmittals.  I have re-saved an example device transmittal without the "~" symbol in the file name for your reference.  In addition to the information available on-line I have briefly spoken to Rick Truza (OSI) and Rick Pier (Mentor) regarding the use of VeSys for my application.  I have downloaded the 20-day trial version and I am using this week to evaluate the software before setting up another meeting.

Here is a summary of what I am trying to do:

I am looking for a tool that will serve as a device transmittal database to store all of the vehicle device transmittal information. The database must be capable of:

• Making and tracking changes to devices
                      • Creating customizable reports
                      • Exporting device information to a pre-defined format (*.DSI, *.XML, *.DEF) for use by wire-harness suppliers
                      • Printing individual Device Transmittals for design reviews and validation
                      • Importing device information from *.xls, or *.csv

In addition to the above requirements, the tool should be capable of generating logical system schematics directly from the device transmittal information. Once the device transmittals are created and the schematics have been generated, any change to the device transmittals should be automatically made in the schematics.

Please let me know if you think VeSys is the appropriate tool or if you think there may be another tool offered by Mentor Graphics that would be a better fit. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Zak

• 8. Re: Quick way to import supplier device transmittal information into VeSys
                        Zak@ESG

Here are my answers to your questions:

1) Circuits that have the exact circuit name i.e., CAN001 would need to be spliced together

2) Unique circuits would not be spliced

3) I am not interested in in-lines, only point-to-point connectivity

4) Schematic layout would most likely need some (hopefully minimal) amount of manual 'clean-up'

Thanks for your help.

-Zak

• 9. Re: Quick way to import supplier device transmittal information into VeSys
                          Joel_Pointon

Hi Zak,

Out of intersest what Industry are you in?

• 10. Re: Quick way to import supplier device transmittal information into VeSys
                            Nuri

Hi,

CHS can automatically layout schematic diagrams, using imported connectivity, it sounds like you should take a look at it.

Cheers,
                            Nuri

• 12. Re: Quick way to import supplier device transmittal information into VeSys
                              Zak@ESG

Hi Nuri,

I am looking for a solution that would also handle the storage/retrieval/maintenance of device information -with the ability to import and export data.

-Zak

• 13. Re: Quick way to import supplier device transmittal information into VeSys
                                Nuri

Hi Zak,

I've spoken with Rik, I think we should organise a conference call to discuss your requirements.

Thanks,

Nuri