11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2009 9:10 AM by olivier_arnaud

How to change though the whole design (easy and fast) ANSI through IEC symbols.

peter.quadflieg

How to change though the whole design (easy and fast) ANSI through IEC symbols.

Example: (res_stnd.1(IEC) and res_stnd.2 (ANSI))

Using the existing commands:

Find Symbol (<Symbol Name> = res_stnd.1

Replace symbol Resistor:res_stnd.2

Preserve “Ref Designator”

Missing the command Keep Current Part Number

So replacing multiple in one go is not possible.

Please give me a workable solution

• 1. Re: How to change though the whole design (easy and fast) ANSI through IEC symbols.
          AndyW

Peter,

You can handle this situation through the Replace Symbol command and retain the Reference Designator (except that currently the scope can't be set to the entire design only the active sheet). Longer term a powerful Design Wide Symbol/Part Replace capability is planned for DxDesigner.

BTW:DxDesigner Automation could also be used to perform this replacement design wide.

However in the meantime a workaround method that will work is to first open all the sheets that have the IEC or ANSI symbols that need replacing.

Then if you choose a Symbol and not the Part it will not change the Part Number. You can actually change it if you wish through the "Replace Symbol/Part" dialog and use the Replace with button as shown in the included PNG file.

Regards,

Andy

• 2. Re: How to change though the whole design (easy and fast) ANSI through IEC symbols.
            Filip-Vercauteren

Hi Andy,

I have a question which might be related.

We are in the process of converting from DC2005 to Dx 2007.

We still need to tweek the layout and cosmetics of our converted symbols.

But right now, when we do "update symbol" or "replace symbol", the text fields of these replaced symbols are not updated. (I mean the font, size, location).  In Design Capture one could choose to update these text fields or not.

Is this also possible in DxDesigner?

thanks in advance,

Filip

• 3. Re: How to change though the whole design (easy and fast) ANSI through IEC symbols.
              peter.quadflieg

Hi Andy,

The part related that it can be solved with automation I agree, do you have an example?

But related to "Then if you choose a Symbol and not the Part it will not change the Part Number", could you explain a little bit more?

Our Part Number for e.g. resistors is a 12nc which includes the Type Value and Tolerance, so this value should stay and not be cleared or changed.

In general I am missing the option "keep Part Number", I would only to change the Symbol, and perhaps reset the locations of the specific Attributes (Ref and Value)

• 4. Re: How to change though the whole design (easy and fast) ANSI through IEC symbols.
                AndyW

Peter,

With respect to the details of using Find and Replace and then the existing Replace Symbol/Part Dialog to do what you need, one of my team will post a small AVI to show you the exact steps.

Also I don't have a specfic example of automation to do what you request but I can provide an outline of what the steps or process could be:

DxD Automation comes with very similar standard Component replace capabilities as you would probably expect to see to what we provide as part of the Replace Symbol/Part dialog capabilities:

• ChangeComponent – just replaces component
                • ChangeComponentPreserveRefDes – just replaces component and preserves the Ref des.

However using these and other provided calls you could try a step-by-step approach to do specifically what you want to do.

For instance:

• Find all components of given symbol, and in iteration on every instance
                • Get the properties you are interested in (part number, refdes, etc) , and its location, etc.
                • Remove the component (first you would need to select it
                • Place new desired component at the "obtained" location
                • Apply the list of "obtained" properties

Regards,

Andy

• 5. Re: How to change though the whole design (easy and fast) ANSI through IEC symbols.
                  olivier_arnaud

Hi Peter,

I dare jump in here because I've recently captured a short video which shows ewactly what you want to do. A picture is worth one thousand words so I believe this short flash should answer all your pending questions. Andy (my boss) gave me his blessing to do so. I'd like to add a few comments though.

The Edit>Replace Symbol... command scope is limited to the opened sheets and therefore it makes sense to use the Find/Replace utility to select the components you want to process because it will open for you the relevant sheets.

When you execute the Replace Symbol command you have to ensure that the correct Part Number is selected from the drop-down list. Otherwise you won't get the expected result. May I also recommend to create a backup of your design before you execute a project-wide operation. I recently had the case where a designer updated his entire project with new symbols which were VERY different from the original ones, creating a major routing mess... which was not un-doable. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I have attached the flash video (.swf).

I hope it helps.

Cheers

• 6. Re: How to change though the whole design (easy and fast) ANSI through IEC symbols.
                    peter.quadflieg

Hi Olivier,

I am missing the attachment.

Best Regards,

Peter

• 7. Re: How to change though the whole design (easy and fast) ANSI through IEC symbols.
                      olivier_arnaud

Hi Peter,

The file got filtered out. I directly posted the flash file and it seemed to work better.

Cheers

Olivier

• 8. Re: How to change though the whole design (easy and fast) ANSI through IEC symbols.
                        peter.quadflieg

Hi Oliver,

This is not working for e.g. Resistors, this because I like to change ALL from ANSI to IEC, but this can be several different Part Number values.

So I am missing the capability to change Symbol, but keep the Part number (part number = the current value)

Is this request already in the scope of Mentor Graphics?

Best Regards,

Peter

• 9. Re: How to change though the whole design (easy and fast) ANSI through IEC symbols.
                          olivier_arnaud

Hi Peter,

It is not only in the scope of Mentor Graphics but I have been able to try an early version of it this morning. Nothing you can get access to before April 2010 unfortunately as it is part of the 7.9 release. We are about to release 7.8.

In the 7.9 Replace symbol dialog page, the "Clear" option (in the [Replace Part] section) was changed into a "Symbol only" option. When this option is used in conjonction with a new one added to the [Properties an Values] section labeled "Merge (schematic values win), it seems to do exactly what you need.

I am afraid you'll have to be a bit patient before you can benefit from this feature. Meanwhile I can wish you a Merry Christmas and happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

Cheers

Olivier

• 10. Re: How to change though the whole design (easy and fast) ANSI through IEC symbols.
                            Filip-Vercauteren

Hi Olivier,

Will this "7.9 Replace symbol dialog page" also allow us to update the font, size and location of the Ref Des, Part Nr and other text labels in a Symbol?

Right now when updating a symbol, the changes in font, size and location of text labels of symbols in the central library are not forwarded to the schematic.

Best regards,

Filip

• 11. Re: How to change though the whole design (easy and fast) ANSI through IEC symbols.
                              olivier_arnaud

Hi Filip,

In the 7.8 release which will be available before the end of the year you will find a partial answer to your question with the "Reposition Properties" command added on RMB. It will reposition teh properties according to the Central Library. This command does not reset the graphical characteristics (Font, size, colour) as you suggest it in your message. Some people may or may not want this behaviour. There is an enhancement request in our database to add this separate command on RMB to complement the "Reposition Properties" command. So far it is not scheduled before 7.10 (end of 2010).

Gelukkig nieuwjaar!

Olivier