AnsweredAssumed Answered

A Few DxDesigner 2005 to 2007 Migration Questions

Question asked by Michael_Karp on Dec 15, 2009
Latest reply on Dec 15, 2009 by robert_davies

I'm a PCB Designer and mostly use Expedition. My knowledge of DxDesigner is limited, but I have been appointed to address the migration from DxDesigner-Expedition 2005.3 to 2007.5 or later.

We currently use DxDesigner with the "Netlist Flow", our schematic symbols are stored all over the place, some are in a folder on the server and many are local with the schematic. Our "Central Library" is only used to store the Expedition Cells (Footprints). I understand that the preferred method of migration is to the "Integrated Flow". This will require importing the symbols into the Central Library, defining the pin mapping in the PDB and editing the "Device" Attribute in every schematic symbol in all of our schematics. Eventually, the Integrated Flow will be our process. I'm planning on converting all of our existing designs into the 2007 "Netlist Flow" and utilize the "Integrated Flow" for New Designs or possibly converting them from the netlist flow to the integrated flow at a later date.

Once I populate the Central Library with schematic symbols and PDB entries will I still be able to use that same Central Library for the netlist flow?

Currently, the DxDesigner "Create PCB Netlist" creates a stand alone PDB for the design and the forward annotation process extracts the cells (footprints) from the Central Library.

I want to make sure that the "Netlist Flow" will still work if the Central Library has PDB entries already defined. If it doesn't, I will need to have a separate Central Library for the Netlist Flow.

I'm also confused about the warning I'm getting when translating a 2005.3 schematic into 2007.5 utilizing the netlist flow:

The following design attributes are not DxD common properties:
BI
COMP_TYPE
DIFF_PAIR
IN
MAX_STUBLENGTH
ORDER_TYPE
OUT
PCBCLASS
PDF_TITLE
POP
PRT_TYPE
PTI_PN
SHEET
SUPPLY_VOLTAGE
V+
VDD
XREF

I thought these were attributes built into DxDesigner and should have been mapped to the appropriate "Properties" automatically.

Do I need to add these to the mapping configuration file or are these no longer needed and can be ignored?

Any other "Words of Wisdom" concerning the migration process would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You for your time,

Mike

Outcomes