5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2009 5:34 PM by yu.yanfeng

A Testcase for HL 8.X's Performance

yu.yanfeng

I love HL 8.0 for it's easy of use but I dislike it's poor performance in the graphics updating, zooming in/out. Attahced is a testcase, I hope every member of HL team check this data and see why users have complains.

Speed is the money

Yanfeng

• 1. Re: A Testcase for HL 8.X's Performance
          yu.yanfeng

Steve,

I send the decryption password to you.  I am waiting your team's feeback.

Yanfeng

• 2. Re: A Testcase for HL 8.X's Performance
            Steve_McKinney

Hi Yanfeng,

I downloaded the testcase and have checked out what you're talking about.  This is rather annoying on the initial load of the design.  It seems to be a bit better once it loads though.  This is a 'painting' problem and I'll pass this testcase off to engineering so they can see what might be done to improve performance here.  A work around for the problem right now, just to improve your time in doing your analysis, is to turn off the visibility for some of the layers.  The 'painting' problem would go away and the viewer would be much faster.  The fastest would be to just show no layers or maybe the top and bottom layers.  You can do this by right mouse clicking in the board viewer, click on the Show Viewer Filter, and then remove checkmarks for layers you don't need to view.

Thanks for providing a testcase - it always helps engineering with these things.  I'll get an service request opened and also enter an enhancement request for you on this.

-Steve

• 3. Re: A Testcase for HL 8.X's Performance
              yu.yanfeng

Hi Steve,

I am happy to hear that you send the testcase to HL engineering team. We all wish Hyperlynx will be used by many of engineers in thier daily work for SI/PI analysis. Due to the need to check where the nets traverse and to see related contexts, it''s not feasible to set some layers off. When the design get more big and more dense,  the graphics performance need to get improved. Additionally, HL should support to a hierarchy tree of objects.

BTW, I have applied the beta evaluation for HL 8.1 Beta2. Would you like to provide me with the access?

Yanfeng

• 4. Re: A Testcase for HL 8.X's Performance
                Steve_McKinney

Hi Yanfeng,

Could you check to see if you have anti-objects displayed?  This can impact the drawing times quite a bit.  If you turn it off, the performance may be acceptable and allow you to work with all layers displayed.  If you're in HyperLynx 8.0, go to View > Options and remove the checkmark next to Anti-Object.  If you're in HyperLynx 8.1, you can turn them off the same way, but there are some additional controls for anti-objects in Setup > Anti-Objects.

I noticed that with your board, it took a minute or two for it to load initially but then the performance wasn't too bad once it was loaded and drawn the first time and I had anti-objects off.  When anti-objects were on however, it took a long time to load the design and performance was pretty bad.  I did enter the enhancement so engineering will take a look at it though.

-Steve

• 5. Re: A Testcase for HL 8.X's Performance
                  yu.yanfeng

Hi Steve,

If We have a box such ad HP Z600 with FX 1700 Graphics and a 3.0 Ghz Core, the performace may be acceptable. But, the questin is that most of designer only have a cheap box with integrated graphics. Technically speaking, Excellent graphis performance can be implemented even on the cheap box if the program is excellent.

In same box, We can see Valor have fastest graphics updating to the same date.

Yanfeng