14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2017 10:42 AM by Muhammad_Askar

Wire Breaks and XREFS?

carl.worthington

Hi All,

Two things, Is there anyway to show in the wire xref just "Page number and grid refrence"?

Also, i thing there is a big failure that VeSys 2.0 doesnt carry over the same wire information between wire breaks, you have to edit both sides as you add them?

• 1. Re: Wire Breaks and XREFS?
          Muhammad_Askar

You should be able to find a setting for the cross reference on conductors (as well as pins and pinlists) in the project preferences in VeSys 2.0.

There will be a template that you can modify for cross references per object type.

Regarding your second question, what do you mean by wire information exactly? Is it attributes like WireCSA?

Cheers

Muhammad

• 2. Re: Wire Breaks and XREFS?
            Nuri

Hi Carl,

There are two ways to define the XREF format for wire breaks;

1. Using Project Preferences (2009.0)
              • With VeSys 2.0 Design running, select File -> Project Preferences
              • Select VeSys 2.0 Design -> Conductor -> Cross-reference
              • Set the template to be /{diagram.name} {zone.name}
              • OK (this can be done for "Pin List" objects (Devices and Connectors)
            2. Using Styling (2009.1 or above)
              • With VeSys 2.0 Design running, select File -> Project Preferences
              • Select VeSys 2.0 Design -> Diagram, then check "Use Style Set Cross-reference"
              • OK
              • Edit -> Style -> Style Set..
              • Set a cross reference format for Wires, Highways, Devices, Device Pin, Inline Plug, Inline Receptacle.... etc
              • See image below, this method gives greater control over the orientation of text with relation to the wire ends (vertical or horizontal wires)

As for your last question...

Also, i thing there is a big failure that VeSys 2.0 doesnt carry over the same wire information between wire breaks, you have to edit both sides as you add them?

If you edit the wire at either side of the wire break it is the same object and therefore carries the same information, so perhaps you could elaborate a little.

Thanks,

Nuri

• 3. Re: Wire Breaks and XREFS?
              carl.worthington

Hi nuri,

My mistake, it is matching both sides now, guess a late night moment.

What would be the required txt in the xref in the settings to just display on the drawing, "Sheet Number, Grid refrence, PIN number"?

• 4. Re: Wire Breaks and XREFS?
                Nuri

"{diagram.name}, {zone.name}, {pin.name}"

Of course you can replace the "," with spaces or any other text.

Thanks,

Nuri

• 5. Re: Wire Breaks and XREFS?
                  carl.worthington

Hi Nuri,

i was asking what the correct txt would be to display the page number, zone location and pin number

• 6. Re: Wire Breaks and XREFS?
                    Nuri

{diagram.name} or {diagram.index} === page number (Diagram1 or 1)

{zone.name} == zone location (A5)

{pin.name} == pin number (but this actually shows device name / pin name)

Thanks,

Nuri

• 7. Re: Wire Breaks and XREFS?
                      carl.worthington

Hi Nuri,

that did it, perfect thanks!

• 8. Re: Wire Breaks and XREFS?
                        carl.worthington

Hi Again,

Couple of problems I am haveing with wire breaks.

I have updated the boards to to change the numbering but the wire breaks dont change, any way to update them?

Also, if you need to delete one end of a wire break and have added other wires in the design, you can not add the missing end, you have to delete the wire and start again.

Also, why when adding the new end of a wire brake, clicking on a splice and then to the point you want the wire break to show, does the splice end not connect to the splice, it just becomes another wire break?

• 9. Re: Wire Breaks and XREFS?
                          Nuri

1) I am not sure if I fully understand this problem;

I have updated the boards to to change the numbering but the wire breaks dont change, any way to update them?

2) As for the second issue, if you have one wire instance (i.e. just one termination on that wire) then you can create another instance by double clicking on the wire in the "Design" browser...  there should be no need to delete the wire.

Also, if you need to delete one end of a wire break and have added other wires in the design, you can not add the missing end, you have to delete the wire and start again.

3) Finally, again not sure what you are doing here.  To terminate a wire onto a splice, double click the wire onto the splice.

Also, why when adding the new end of a wire brake, clicking on a splice and then to the point you want the wire break to show, does the splice end not connect to the splice, it just becomes another wire break?

Thanks,

Nuri

• 10. Re: Wire Breaks and XREFS?
                            carl.worthington

Hi Nuri,

1, if you updat the boarder and the zone names around the boarder change, the xrew on ther drawing dont change.

2, if the wire is only terminated at one end as a new wire and then double click, all works ok. If you delet one end of the wire later on after more wires added, double clicking does not work any more.

3. If you terminate the first end of a wire on a terminal, then you double click the wire as normal and locate the next end on a splice, the wire does not connect to the splice, just creates a wire with to xrefs.

cheers!

Carl

• 11. Re: Wire Breaks and XREFS?
                              Nuri

I am not seeing the same problem as you.

Take a look at the attached AVI, otherwise you should try a WebEx with Support.

Thanks,

Nuri

• 12. Re: Wire Breaks and XREFS?
                                justin.loudermilk2

Nuri,

Is there anyway to get just the pin.name of the device without the connector?  I actually want a Device Property.  I can do this with a query and a plugable query but both require the diagram to be open and hit File>Refresh>Cross References.  The issue here is that I need to be able to update the project cross references all in one go.

Any Ideas?  Are there other things in the API that are fast and dont show <update X-ref> like most queries do for x-references?  I found that {design.properties} work like placeholder text and they return info very fast.

• 13. Re: Wire Breaks and XREFS?
                                  mukesh.chodaveetil@lnttechservices.com

Hi Nuri,

How should I get the below information added to the report builder.

"{diagram.name}, {zone.name},

Regards,

Deepak

• 14. Re: Wire Breaks and XREFS?
                                    Muhammad_Askar

HI Mukesh and Justin,

In Capital this can be handled through the API as a custom query to be used in cross-references. I am afraid the same is not available for VeSys. The challenge is one of getting a full list of diagrams where the instances exist and filtering it down to only "other locations other than this diagram". Same for Zone. Otherwise you end up with a full list of the diagram and zone for every instance.

Thanks

Muhammad