4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 5:38 AM by horh0004

Can Calibre do LVS for a Cadence design with mixed schematic view and CDL netlist view?

mark.lin

I need to use Calibre to LVS a Cadence design with mixed schematic view and CDL netlist view.   CDL netlist is from a third-party design and cannot be translated into Cadence database by CDLIN since it has more than 10k I/O pins.  I am not sure if Calibre is able to do LVS for a design with mixed Cadence schematic view and CDL  netlist view?   I tried to use Cadence to export the overall CDL netlist for this design with mixed schematic and CDL views, but it was never successful.  Any idea how Calibre can handle the mixed schematic view and CDL netlist view in Cadence?

Thanks.

Mark

• 1. Re: Can Calibre do LVS for a Cadence design with mixed schematic view and CDL netlist view?
          chris_balcom

Hi Mark,

As I understand it, Calibre actually calls the Cadence netlister. So if you're having difficulty getting a CDL netlist from Cadence then Calibre may not be able to work around the Cadence netlisting problem you are seeing.

Calibre uses Spice netlist or CDL netlist or Verilog netlist or Cadence schematic but it does so in the following ways:

Spice netlist - reads it directly

CDL netlist - reads it directly

Verilog netlist - uses v2lvs utility to convert the Verilog netlist into a Spice like netlist.

Cadence schematic - calls the Cadence netlister to create a CDL netlist, doesn't use Calibre netlister.

So with that in mind, I think it might help if you could first establish a way to get the Cadence netlister working outside of Calibre.

• 2. Re: Can Calibre do LVS for a Cadence design with mixed schematic view and CDL netlist view?
            mark.lin

Chris,

Actually, I just solved the problem. Following is what I have done:

Step 1: Create a symbol view for the cell that has only CDL netlist with all the I/O pins

Make sure the symbol view has the label of [@cellName]

Step 2: Copy the symbol view to auCdl view and make sure CDF property of this auCdl view has all the correct I/O pin orders

Step 3: Create a CDL netlist for this merged schematic views and CDL view (actually the cell with CDL-netlist-only only needs to have auCdl view as mentioned above)

Step 4: In the CDL netlist created in Step 3, add one more line .INCLUDE  pathname_of_the_CDL_netlist_without_schematic_view

Then, Calibre can call the CDL netlist generated in Step 4

Thanks for the help.

Mark

• 3. Re: Can Calibre do LVS for a Cadence design with mixed schematic view and CDL netlist view?
              chris_balcom

Hi Mark,

That's great news, and fast too! Thanks for shaing the solution with all of us.

There are likely to be many people in that future that will benefit from the answer you gave. I bet by this weekend, anyone in the world using Google to search for the following string:

calibre LVS cadence mixed schematic netlist

...will see your post at the top of the list. I'm going to set a calendar reminder to see if this prediction comes true.

:-)

• 4. Re: Can Calibre do LVS for a Cadence design with mixed schematic view and CDL netlist view?
                horh0004

Hi Marklin,

Can you give me more details on how to perform each of those step? For example, how to create a symbol view from spice netlist? And how to create a CDL netlist from combined schematic and CDL view?

I am interested in doing mixed signal verification as well. Please help.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

hon cheong