1 2 First Previous 18 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2011 1:13 AM by Joel_Pointon

Importing a DSI into VeSys Classic

cshaw332

If I import a harness DSI into VeSys Classic, it automatically sets the terminal plating over-ride. How do I turn this off?

Is it a setting in VeSys?

Is it a field in the DSI?

Chris

• 1. Re: Importing a DSI into VeSys Classic
          Joel_Pointon

Hi,

Can you supply a little more information on the process you are using, for example are you:

1. Importing a Harness DSI into an empty Harness
          2. Importing a Harness DSI into a set of circuits
          • 2. Re: Importing a DSI into VeSys Classic
            cshaw332

1. Importing a harness dsi into an empty harness

• 3. Re: Importing a DSI into VeSys Classic
              mike_templeman

Hello cshaw332,

By default all terminals specified in a DSI file are pulled into a drawing during import.  When you update the wire table the terminal will update depending on what terminal you have associated with the connector part number in your Components Database.

However, for those terminals within the original DSI that had "Overide Automatic Terminal Selection" checked - you will not be able to update the automatic terminal selection.  Which I believe may be your problem.  In which case you can do the following:

There is a field in the DSI that tells VeSys whether to check the "Overide Automatic Terminal Selection" box.

In the image attached you will see an example DSI file.  Look under "Harness cavity components".  The yellow highlighted "NO" signifies a terminal with "Overide Automatic Terminal Selection" checked. The highlighted "YES" allows VeSys to update the selected terminal using the Update Wire Table command.  You would need to change all instances of NO to YES in your case.  Please note do not change the lower case "no" at the end of each line (highlighted in orange).

If you have a rather large DSI to modify you can open up an empty Excel spreadsheet and use the Data > Import utility to import the .dsi file, ensure you choose to import using ":" as the delimiter.  Now you will be able to work with the DSI so you can do a quick drag-and-replace of the cells that matter.  When done copy the entire contents of the Excel file into an empty Notepad file, then under Notepad use the find and replace function to replace all tab characters with ":" then save as a .dsi file.  Then import into VeSys.

Alternatively, if you need to do this with many drawings, we can look at providing you with a nice little utitily to prepare your DSI automatically with a click of a button.  Please contact me on support@centricity-consulting.com

Best Regards,

Mike Templeman

• 4. Re: Importing a DSI into VeSys Classic
                Joel_Pointon

Hi,

Rather than me getting the wrong idea and answering a different question to the one you posed can you confirm my assumptions of your problem listed below:

1. You have a Harness that has some Terminal Plating Overrides defined for example C001-4 has Gold as the 'Required Terminal Material'
                2. You export the DSI from this Harness
                3. You start a new empty drawing and import this DSI
                4. You check C001-4 and the 'Required Terminal Material' no longer says Gold the field is blank

If this is your problem I have tried a few things and it seems you are right that you can't seem to affect the 'Required Terminal Material' when the DSI is imported, if this is your problem I'll spend a little more time looking at the DSI to see if tweaking any of the data in this will get around the problem.

• 5. Re: Importing a DSI into VeSys Classic
                  Joel_Pointon

Hi Mike,

While it is useful to be able know that you can edit some things in a DSI manually it should also be pointed out that users need to be very careful when doing this.

One issue that I found with your process of editing the DSI using Excel, copying/pasting into notepad and Finding/Replacing of the "Tab" is that it actually corrupts the DSI file.  The reason for this is that in the "Harness node components" section of the DSI the Connector ID is seperated from the Connector Description by a "Tab", using the find/replace as you suggested you will actually remove all of your Connector Descriptions in the Harness (it shifts them across to the next field).

Note:  This issue was found on a DSI that wasn't generated in CHS compatibility mode.

So while editing the DSI can be useful its not normally a 'simple case' of editing this file.  What we have opted to do is write a Macro that reads DSI data into excel, we can then do modifications and use the macro to write out a new DSI file.

• 6. Re: Importing a DSI into VeSys Classic
                    mike_templeman

Hi Sledge_Hammer,

I agree the steps required to edit a DSI are not straightforward and require careful attention.

For anyone wishing to maintain their connector desciptions using the Excel method I would suggest first opening the DSI file in notepad and using the find/replace function to replace all tab characters with an unused character in the file e.g. "¬", then follow the Excel method above...  After you have replaced all tab characters with ":" in notepad, do a final replace of "¬" with the tab character.  Then save as a .dsi file.

I would also ensure that you format all cells in the Excel worksheet as text before importing the DSI so as to not truncate any data.

• 7. Re: Importing a DSI into VeSys Classic
                      Nuri

Hi Chris,

Knowing that the DSI is generated using Capital Integrator, could you post an idea on http://mentorideas.brightidea.com/iesd (configurable bridge-out).

Thanks,

Nuri

• 8. Re: Importing a DSI into VeSys Classic
                        schubert_brian

Hello

I have been playing around with importing a .dsi from a Harness to a Design Schematic.  I am wondering why when the Wire Option's do not match VeSys is unable to find the wire.  It seems to me that the wire option is a wire property that should be updated if different not a necessary constant. 

Is there a reason why the Wire Option must be the same between the Design and Harness?  Is there an option somewhere that will allow VeSys to not need the wire options to be the same?

Thanks in advance

Brian

• 9. Re: Importing a DSI into VeSys Classic
                          Joel_Pointon

Hi Brian,

As you mentioned the Wire Options should be updated on import.  When importing wires into VeSys Design it looks at the start point and destination of the wires if it finds a match it will import the wire properties if you have the option selected on import.

If you are still having problems and can send me your drawings I'll take a look.

• 10. Re: Importing a DSI into VeSys Classic
                            schubert_brian

Hello

While trying to recreate the problem I found that for some reason when Copying and pasting parts of the diangram into a new diagram I no longer had any problems with the wire not being found due to a different wire option.  However in the files I have given you I have changed the Wire Option from GA in one of the wires.  When you try to import the wire properties the wire with the wrong option will be reported as not found.  Even though it clearly is there.  By manually changing the wire option back to GA you will see the wire show up as found next time you import the wire properties.

I am not sure why I can not seem to recreate this case.  VeSys is just a very buggy program.

Thank you for your time

Brian

• 11. Re: Importing a DSI into VeSys Classic
                              Nuri

Brian,

I see you are fairly new to VeSys, can I ask if you have looked at VeSys 2.0?

Thanks,

Nuri

• 12. Re: Importing a DSI into VeSys Classic
                                Joel_Pointon

Hi Brian,

I think I have found your problem, you seem to have the "Use Option during DSI Import" switched on (in the Design Options -> Wires menu).  If you switch this off all of the wires can be imported and have their properties changed.

It has been so long since I used that feature I cannot remember why it was implemented but it may have been a customer specific requirement because you would normally want to import all wires regardless of their option.

From my experience I have found it to be extremely stable (I use VeSys everyday) although there are a few issues with the way the drawing open functionality works on the newer versions of AutoCAD - I've stuck with the older versions of AutoCAD as the newer ones don't seem to add any value to the typical VeSys user.

Joel

• 13. Re: Importing a DSI into VeSys Classic
                                  Joel_Pointon

I noticed when I opened your drawings that they were  in 2007 format and so I should have clarified my earlier comments about the problems with later versions of AutoCAD version, below is another tip that you might useful and explain some unusual behaviour that VeSys exhibits. 

With versions of AutoCAD 2007 or later there were problems getting VeSys running with the 1st drawing that is opened, this is possibly due to AutoCAD loading the drawing before VeSys has a chance to load.  The only solution available at the time was for VeSys to automatically close the drawing if it hadn't loaded in time.  You will likely see this problem if you try to double click an AutoCAD/VeSys drawing directly when AutoCAD/VeSys isn't already running, the effect is that the drawing you wanted is closed.

The workaround/tip for you is simply to run VeSys from its icon (or AutoCAD) first, this then makes sure VeSys is loaded fully.  If you want to double click a .dwg file you can because VeSys is already running.

• 14. Re: Importing a DSI into VeSys Classic
                                    schubert_brian

Thanks for the help Joel it was an option in the Design Options.  I would of never guessed it would of been an option.

I have been seeing that problem with double clicking a .dwg when VeSys is not running.  A minor inconvenience.  Whats worse though is that it seems every time I open up another drawing file VeSys seems to forget where all the wire breaks are attatched too.  So when I switch back to the file that was already open everything seems to be broken.  The work around for this is to simply double click any wire break.  Then VeSys restablishes which wire breaks belong to who. 

I don't know if thats something you have seen but its something that me and my colleagues have seen.

Thanks for the Help

Brian

1 2 First Previous