3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 8:36 AM by znazar

Pin types on symbols for Dx/Ex flow.

David_S

First, hope this is the correct location.

Second, I am getting gready to release a new library converted from an older Board Station library.  The pin types in the Board Station library were never used correctly, so I need to get them changed in the Dx/EX side.  There are 10 types:

IN

OUT

BI

ANALOG

OCL

OEM

TRI

POWER

GROUND

TERMINAL

From what I read in the manuals, and what was taught in class, is most of these are for digital parts.  My problem are:

1.  There is no definition for TERMINAL.  What's it for?

2.  The sample libraries have the analog parts using BI for the pins.  Is that correct?

3.  What do you put on connectors?

4.  Do you use in/out on analog ICs that have a direction on the pin?  (like an OP AMP)

Guess that's all for now, but if you've run into anything special regarding pin types, please post!

• 1. Re: Pin types on symbols for Dx/Ex flow.
          znazar

Too bad no one responded in this thread. I can't understand when to use a particular pin type. I understand that the resistor terminals should be an analog type, but I don't know what type should be input and output terminal of Op-Amp.

Can someone explain to me when to use each specific pin type?

Thanks in advance.

• 2. Re: Pin types on symbols for Dx/Ex flow.
            olivier_arnaud

Hi there,

Please find below a description of all Pin Types.

IN (Input) : Digital input pins.

OUT (Output) : Digital output pins that are not TRI (Tristate), OEM (Open emitter), or OCL (Open collector).

BI (Bidirectional or Bidir) : Digital pins that are both input and output (process input and output signals).

ANALOG (Analog) : Pin type used on Analog devices and also for Analog pins on digital devices (for example, DAC output pins and ADC input pins).

OCL (Open collector) : Open collector output pin.

OEM (Open emitter) : Emitter coupled logic (ECL) output pin.

TRI (Tristate) : Digital three-state output pin.

POWER : Supply pin, typically used for power pins on symbols (positive and negative rails). Apply this pin type to positive and negative tap symbols.

GROUND : Ground pin, typically used for ground pins on symbols. Apply this pin type to ground tap symbols.

TERMINAL : Terminal pin for VHDL-AMS (Analog Mixed Signal).

Pin Types are important for Design Rule Checking which is performed through the Verify Utility in DxDesigner. A lot of these checks rely on the Pin Types particularly Power and Ground checks but also connectivity checks. For example you can check that an OEM pin is pulled down as expected or that two output pins are not connected together.

The most used pin types are: IN, OUT, BI, ANALOG, POWER and GROUND.

Some people add TRI, OEM and OCL.

The TERMINAL Pin Type is rarely used in the context of a PCB design unless you run functional simulation in VHDL-AMS (Mixed signal).

I hope it helps.

Cheers

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Pin types on symbols for Dx/Ex flow.
              znazar

Thank you very much!

It helps me a lot