5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2010 1:49 AM by robert_davies

Support for Cookbook Designs

MarkP

I have a question regarding how to support reusable designs in EE 2007.x.  Currently we are using 2005.3 and have created a database of circuits - each reuable circuit contains both the schematic and a hierarchical symbol.  In DxDatabook, we have a table for the reusable designs, that contains a link to both the schematic and symbol.  While we do have cases where the design is used "as-is", most of our design work is more cookbook-like: the schematic is added to the design as a hierarchical block but then modified to fit the need of the end product.

In 2007, the Reuse block feature seems only to be suited for cases where the reusable design is not altered - you place the symbol on your schematic and reference the block as-is.  I like the concept of the verified reusable circuit, but I don't see how this will work for true "cookbook" designs. The only approach I can think of for 2007 reusable designs is to provide a link to the 2007 project (containing the schematic) and then Copy/Paste the reusable schematic into the current design.  While this approach will work, it is somewhat clunky (you have to launch a new DxDesigner window to open the reusable project, then Copy and Paste the design to the new project).  Another approach is to convert the reusable design as a Netlist project, then Import this into the new project.

Is there a different method or way for the Reuse block to be used for cookbook designs?

• 1. Re: Support for Cookbook Designs
          robert_davies

You don't say whether this is the integrated EE flow or netlist. For the integrated EE flow we are adding the ability to dissolve the re-use block once placed in the schematic, this effectively breaks the link back to the library and allows the block to be edited and changed. Would this meet your particular requirement?

• 2. Re: Support for Cookbook Designs
            MarkP

I am using Integrated EE flow.  Would have to see when and what you are proposing - but sounds promising.

• 3. Re: Support for Cookbook Designs
              Gary_Lameris

Yet another method is File Open Block and browse to the reference design and copy the schematic into the current design.

Open Block.JPG

• 4. Re: Support for Cookbook Designs
                MarkP

OK.  But to Browse to the block, you need to know where it is and what it is named.  We have hundreds of designs - using a file browser to wade through the list isn't as easy as having a link in DxDatabook that click on.  Now if DxDB could do the File > Open Block to the correct location and project name...

• 5. Re: Support for Cookbook Designs
                  robert_davies

If you are using the EE flow then you can store schematics you want to re-use in the Central Library using 'formal' re-use. These are intended to be certified sections of design that in general do not change, they can be schematic only (logical) or schematic and associated layout (physical). Once in the lbrary they can be used in any design but a current limitation in DxDesigner is they stay asociated with the library object and are 'read only' in the design. In Expedition you can break this link using the Flatten option to make the layout part editable. In EE2007.9 we will offer the same functionality in DxDesigner using 'Dissolve', this will remove the link to the library and make the schematic editable by the user in the design.