4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2010 4:58 AM by Sysign

Symbol Library Managment

Sysign

I was hoping to export an existing symbol library, bring it back in under a diferent name (import), and delete duplicates in the origional.  Needless to say, it's not that simple ("a library with the same ID already exists in the session....").  The "Replicating Libraries" document http://communities.mentor.com/docs/DOC-1584 appears to provide the solution - i.e. "move" between libraries.  Since this involves several hundred symbols, I am looking for confirmation that "move" is the best (only?) option.

Thanks,

-Jim W

Partitioning Symbol Libraries

• 1. Re: Symbol Library Managment
          mike_templeman

Move is definitely the preferred way to go.  To help speed things up you can select an entire range of symbols by holding down SHIFT and selecting symbols.  Or you can select individually by holding down the CTRL key.

Does this help?

If not I could "prepare" your exported Symbol Library XML file ready for you to import a duplicate if this is a one off.

Thanks,

Mike

• 2. Re: Symbol Library Managment
            Sysign

Yes, I noticed multiple symbols could be moved at once after getting started.  "Move" is definately the way to go (other than a better job of pre-planning library content).

Thanks for the tip.

-Jim W

• 3. Re: Symbol Library Managment
              Nuri

Personally, I would multi-select the symbols then "duplicate" them into a new library, this will ensure new unique identifiers are created.

Thanks,

Nuri

• 4. Re: Symbol Library Managment
                Sysign

If symbols are duplicated, is there going to be a problem when the symbol is used in a design and two different unique identifieres are in the database for the same symbol?  Or are you expecting that the symbol is then deleted from the origional library?  I am using multiple (unique) libraries to manage size and facilitate export.

Thanks,

-Jim W