13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 9:17 PM by sahil.bangar

Problem exporting proe nwf data

sking

We are exporting from a design to a proe nwf file.  When we import into proe, we lose all relationships to any harnesses.  It seems to import as if all wires are part of a single harness.  Are we doing something wrong?  Has anybody come up with a way around this?

• 1. Re: Problem exporting proe nwf data
          Joel_Pointon

In Classic you can filter the export of the wires based on a custom property i.e. HarnessName.  In VeSys 2.0 you can tag a wire with a Harness ID/Name so I would imagine that this would be reflected in the export to Pro-E (I haven't tested this).

Are you using the assigning the Harness properties in VeSys 2.0?

• 2. Re: Problem exporting proe nwf data
            sking

Yes, we are assigning the harness attribute.  We have talked about incorporating the harness designation into the wire id, but that would be a totally manual process, as you cannot construct a wire id like in CHS.  I opened the nwf in a text editor and the harness designation does not appear anywhere.

• 3. Re: Problem exporting proe nwf data
              Vincent_Pinto

Will check this out more closely when I am in the office on Monday.  However, here is the current flow.  Even though the various objects have been assigned the Harness Attribute value, when the export occurs, all objects across all harnesses, in the design, will be exported in the nwf. In the near future, there is a plan to have an ability to filter the output into the nwf based on the Harness selected.  I am not sure of when it will be available, so I'll let someone in Prod. Marketing to please address that.

As you point out, the Harness Attribute values are not present in the nwf file, and so when you import into Pro/E, all electrical objects of all harnesses will be present, even though the .asm you opened in Pro/E will have been for one of the harnesses you were interested in.

What I would suggest for the time being:  You know all the connectors, splices that belong to that one harness. Therefore, Designate/Autodesignate only those connectors and splices in Pro/E.  Then route the wires, multicores.  I agree that you will not get a successful Update/Compare working completely in Pro/E because many connectors and wires belonging to other harnesses will not have been designated/routed. But that is not a major issue.

Of course, if it is possible for you, in VeSys2, to move all objects belonging to a given harness attribute into one design, then you will not have problems. The nwf file will contain only objects in the one design.  But I realize that this may not easily be achievable to do once the designs have been completed in VeSys2. 

Let us know if this will work for the time-being.  I will be able to see if an easier workaround is possible on Monday.

Vincent

• 4. Re: Problem exporting proe nwf data
                Joel_Pointon

As VeSys 2.0 has a "Harness Attribute" I am a little surprised that you cannot filter the export of the ProE export file based on this it would be quite a rare scenario that you would want to export all of your wires to Pro-E.  I would raise this an enhancement request via the new ideas area, it should get a high priority because currently the Pro-E export is impractical to use and besides VeSys Classic had the ability to filter the export file so VeSys 2.0 also should.

• 5. Re: Problem exporting proe nwf data
                  Nuri

Hi Vincent,

You are right, a Harness Filter has been included in VeSys 2.0 v2010.1, this will allow the wiring bridge to export the connectivity of one harness at a time.

Thanks,
                  Nuri

• 6. Re: Problem exporting proe nwf data
                    Vincent_Pinto

Thanks, Nuri!

sking,

Looks like 2010.1 will be available within a couple of months, and so I'd recommend the workaround indicated above until then; I am not able to figure out any other workaround.

Vincent

• 7. Re: Problem exporting proe nwf data
                      sahil.bangar

Hi Nuri, I am fairly new to Vesys.

We just upgraded to Vesys 2 2010.1. Could you suggest how to locate Harness Filter and how to use it? We have used all export options but couldnt find a way to export to NWF files.

We have several harness attributes and want to export individual harness (nwf files) to Pro E.

Thanks,

Sahil

• 8. Re: Problem exporting proe nwf data
                        Phil_Davies

Sahil

You will find the harness filter when you select File > Export, see attached screenshot.

When you Export To... you will be able to select the nwf file format.

Best Regards

Phil D

Vesys Filter.jpg

• 9. Re: Problem exporting proe nwf data
                          sahil.bangar

Hi Phil, Thanks for the promt reply.

Which version of Vesys 2 you are using. We just upgraded to Vesys 2 2010.1 yesterday and couldnot find this filter option.

Is this done in Vesys harness or Vesys design?

Cheers,

Sahil

• 10. Re: Problem exporting proe nwf data
                            Phil_Davies

Sahil,

I am on 2010.1, the filter is available from VeSys Design.

Regards

Phil

• 11. Re: Problem exporting proe nwf data
                              sahil.bangar

Hi Phil, Seems like we dont get an option of filter and nwf.

Please find attached screen shots.

• 12. Re: Problem exporting proe nwf data
                                Phil_Davies

Sahil,

Looks to me as if you are trying to filter from VeSys Harness, If you open up one of the logical designs you should get the filter and see the nwf file format.

Regards

Phil

• 13. Re: Problem exporting proe nwf data
                                  sahil.bangar

Yes Phil, That worked. Thanks for that.

Regards,

Sahil