3 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2010 2:50 PM by aanconetani

Revision Control with CVS/Subversion

aanconetani

Hi Everybody,

We do quite a bit of software and FPGA code. As a result we often use CVS and/or Subversion for our revision control. I'm wondering if there is a way to use these tools for revision control with VeSys. Specifically, can I use the project export option to create an XML snapshot of a release and comit this to CVS/Subversion? Then, at a later date, is there any issue with checking out this XML project file and importing it into VeSys for viewing and possible modification?

Thanks

-Anthony

• 1. Re: Revision Control with CVS/Subversion
          Nuri

This sounds like a great idea, I've been using something simliar myself.

Thanks,

Nuri

• 2. Re: Revision Control with CVS/Subversion
            aanconetani

Great,

So let me explore the concept a little further.

Let say I'm building 4 machines over a one year period. I build the first machine as a proto-type. In the process I find things about the cables that I would like to change for the next 3 machines. But, it's too complicated/expensive to go back and update the first machine. So, I export the project file to .xml, check it, tag it as the machine 1 release and continue on with my updates for machines 2, 3 and 4.  At some point later, I decide I have a critical change I need to make on machine 1. I can go check out a copy of the machine 1 design release. But, how do I pull the old machine 1 release into VeSys? Do I export and commit the current project, delete the current project (File/Delete_Project) in VeSys then import the machine 1 version of the project?

Thanks,

-Anthony

• 3. Re: Revision Control with CVS/Subversion
              aanconetani

Hi Nuri,

Per our conversation this morning it sounds like I answered my question correctly.

Thanks

-Anthony