4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2010 11:47 AM by tim_hall

Bundling nets

tim_hall

Is there a way to bundle nets and buses together in Pads 9? I would like to take several related nets in an underlying schematic, “bundle” them together (kind of like a bus), pass them through a top level functional block at a single pin and then connect them to other blocks. Once inside the other blocks, I would un-bundle and connect the individual nets and buses. This way, my top level functional block looks much cleaner.

Thanks,

Tim

• 1. Re: Bundling nets
          robert_davies

In DxDesigner you can create complex buses using the Bus Contents and then pass the bus contents through the design hierarchy. For example you could create a bus named ControlBus with contents of Data[7:0],CTL1,CTL2,EN,G (limit is 10000 characters). Define this in the Bus Contents dialog and perform Update Bus Contents command through the design. Create the bus in the schematic and name it ControlBus. Then all of the nets are available to be extracted from the bus (ripped), anywhere in the hierarchy. The bus can be connected to hierarchical blocks and passed through the design.

It is possible to create sub-buses and map nets across to the sub-bus from the main bus.

The topic of Bus Contents is covered in the on-line help.

• 2. Re: Bundling nets
            tim_hall

Thanks Robert.

Is there a way to select a number of nets on a page and add them, instead of typing them in or using the select box?
            Thanks,

Tim

• 3. Re: Bundling nets
              robert_davies

Unfortunately not at this time. It is something we're considering. It would be a good idea for a post on the Ideas site.

Rob

• 4. Re: Bundling nets
                tim_hall

Thanks again Rob. I have posted this idea under "Adding signals to bus contents in DxDesigner from schematic", idea number D2635.