7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2011 1:53 PM by Nuri

How to update Page/Wire breaks?

Vincent_Pinto

Perhaps I'm doing this incorrectly, and so would appreciate suggestions.

1) Let's say I have a three-sheet design.   A custom component (same ID/RefDes) is shown on sheets 1 and 2 due to space constraints.

2) I draw a wire W1 from Pin1 on sheet 1, and eventually terminate the wire at a device on sheet 3, page breaks and all. The page break on sheet 1 points to 3, and the other, vice versa.

3) A second wire W2  goes from a pin on sheet 2 and ends up on sheet 3.  The page breaks show up correct.

4) I now want to move the pin 2 from sheet 2, and bring it to sheet 1 (being that the custom device is the same; just want to reposition the pin more meaningfully nearer pin 1 which is on sheet 1 for whatever  reason). I move the wire W2 and its page/wire break to sheet 1 as well.  (I selected the pin, the wire segment and the wire break, and moved all three entities to sheet 1)

5) The page/wire break of W2 on sheet 1 still show it pointing to sheet 3, as expected.

6) However, I am not able to get the page/wire break of W2 on sheet 3 to update from sheet 2 to sheet 1.

Question: I do prefer to move pins, wires and their breaks as my design has many such changes I need to make.  How do I get the wire breaks on the respective destinations to update?  Regenerate didn't seem to work (perhaps that does something else). Any suggestions are appreciated.

• 1. Re: How to update Page/Wire breaks?
          Joel_Pointon

Hi Vincent,

These sheet numbers should update if you click "Update Sheet References".  One thing to check is that they are all still associated, occassionally I have seen a situation where the relationship between the Wire Breaks is lost this is easily rectified by double clicking any Wire Break.

Possibly one of the reasons why this was a manual user process was because the whole philosophy of VeSys Classic was to keep the drawing performance to a maximum.  When adding a new wire break the sheet references are updated automatically (as there is only a maximum of 2 to update/refresh) however if you were to use the move command you could relocate 500 Wire Breaks and the user would not want the software to pause (even briefly) while these are all updated.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to update Page/Wire breaks?
            Joel_Pointon

On a seperate note I wouldn't recommend moving a pin of a custom component from one sheet to another, this is OK for an inline but the custom component pin is actually associated to the custom component object it was created with.  If you were to move 10 pins from a custom component on sheet 2 to sheet 1 and then decided to delete the custom component on sheet 2 all of those 10 pins would also be deleted.

Assuming you are using custom component I would advise that you do the following:

1. Create a new pin on the custom component located on Sheet 1
            2. Move the wire break to sheet one
            3. Use the 'Move End' command on the wire to attach the wire to this new pin

Note 1:  You could use the match properties to carry the properties over from the original pin to the newly created pin.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to update Page/Wire breaks?
              Vincent_Pinto

Thanks, J, for both responses.

However, I find that all sheet refs on all sheets are lost (they end up with a ?).  Any reason why?  I am working with customer data, and don't have the original Frame Block.  Do I have to have it present at some location defined in the Configuration for the Update Sheet Refs to work correct?

• 4. Re: How to update Page/Wire breaks?
                Joel_Pointon

Ahhh OK I think I see the problem and you won't need the customers drawing.

The likely reason you are getting the ? is that VeSys doesn't detect any drawing frame block within the drawing.  VeSys Classic needs to know the frame name as drawing frame blocks are no  different to any other block used by VeSys/AutoCAD.

If you click one of the existing drawing frame blocks contained within the drawing and then select properties you will be able to see the "Block Name", if you add this to your VeSys Design configuration you should find that the Wire Break references should then work.

Let me know if this works.

• 5. Re: How to update Page/Wire breaks?
                  Vincent_Pinto

Superb!  Thank you!

• 6. Re: How to update Page/Wire breaks?
                    gary.fennell

Hi,

I know this is an old post, but I'm currently stuck on exactly this issue - unable to get wire break across sheets.

I have the same statement ' Sheet ? '

When I use the update Sheet References it states there are no block in the drawing (although there are (or appear to be) block in the drawing).

I'm stuck on this bit:

If you click one of the existing drawing frame blocks contained within the drawing and then select properties you will be able to see the "Block Name", if you add this to your VeSys Design configuration you should find that the Wire Break references should then work.

How do I "add this to your VeSys Design configuration" ?

Thanks for your help

Gary

• 7. Re: How to update Page/Wire breaks?
                      Nuri

You can start the "VeSys Configuration Editor" (Start Menu -> All Programs -> VeSys Electrical Series -> VeSys Configuration Editor). You can add the block name for your border (this will match the AutoCAD block name of the border, it might be different from the DWG file used to place the border).

Thanks,

Nuri