6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2010 12:15 AM by Mark.Tanner

Emailing Designs

Mark.Tanner

I want to send a DxDesigner schematic (not a netlist) to a PCB layout company who use Mentor Graphics products.  Which files do I need to send?

I used to do this with OrCad and only had to send two files (*.OPJ and *.DSN), what is the DxDesigner equivalent ... or do I have to send all of my parts databases?!

Thanks,

Mark

• 1. Re: Emailing Designs
          robert_davies

Mark,

Simply zip up the project folder and its contents. No need for parts databases unless the bureaux needs them to create a library. One caveat, make sure nobody else is working in the project when you zip it up (concurrent use). If you're a single user then it is not an issue.

Rob

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Emailing Designs
            Mark.Tanner

Thanks Rob,

It just seems a bit over the top compared to OrCad's two files.  My Project folder currently consists of 184 files (not including AutoBackup) and about 3MB.  This could be because it's my first DxDesigner design and I've not been working in a very streamlined manner, but if that's the way is, that's the way it is

Cheers,

Mark

• 3. Re: Emailing Designs
              robert_davies

Which version of the software are you using? After 2007.6 we reduced the number of files significantly. Also you mention the Autobackup folder, so do you have a PCB associated with the design? If so you can use the Job Management Wizard to cleanup some of the files, this will remove the Autobackup folder, PCB/work folder, PCB/Logfiles.

If you don'r have a PCB associated you can still clean up the archive further by removing generic.gdb, the following under the cdbsvr directory: dbcheck, dbupgrade, log, PIMlog, autobackup, but only do this on the zipped copy.

Rob

• 4. Re: Emailing Designs
                Mark.Tanner

I'm using PADS 9.1, update 1.

I've tried to use the 'Job Management Wizard', but I don't know how to start it?

No, there's no PCB associated with the project, but again, this could be a remnant from my unstreamlined creation!

Mark

• 5. Re: Emailing Designs
                  robert_davies

If you are using PADS then you won't find the Job Management Wizard, this is for Expedition PCB. In this case you can clean up the directories as suggested via Explorer, but only remove them from the zipped archive.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Emailing Designs
                    Mark.Tanner

Thanks Rob.

Mark