3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2010 10:44 AM by chris_balcom

select lvs devices

Govind_kulkarni

Hi,

I would like to know the calibre lvs option for the below requirement.
      The foundry lvs rule file supports/extracts around 55 devices,but in our project we have to use only the 10 selected devices.
      Is there any option in LVS for selecting only those 10 devices for extraction, comparison and also by mistake if somebody uses other devices it has report as an error.

Regards,
      Govind Kulkarni   

• 1. Re: select lvs devices
          chris_balcom

Hi Govind,

I think the #IFDEF and #ENDIF capability is the way many people would accomplish that in Calibre.

If the 10 devices you are interested in are already listed within a certain #IFDEF block, then it may be as easy as making sure the related #DEFINE statements are commented or uncommented as needed.

I don't know of any method to "deselect" a DEVICE statement except to make sure it exists inside an #IFDEF block that is not executed.

• 2. Re: select lvs devices
            Govind_kulkarni

Chris,

We don't have option of IFDEF, can we request as a enhansement in calibre?

Regards,
            Govind Kulkarni

• 3. Re: select lvs devices
              chris_balcom

Hi Govind,

Formal enhancement requests would go through SupportNet by you opening a Service Request but I'm happy to offer related advice in case it helps. For instance, I don't think this particular request would have a good initial probability of being implemented unless we could make a case for it that might help many customers. I think the R&D department for any software application can get literally hundreds of enhancement requests for capabilities that would be excellent for at least one customer but they probably have to do all they can to avoid bloating the software with too many capabilities. The likely repsonse from R&D might go something like "we provide conditionals for executing desired blocks of code while avoiding other blocks of code, why is that not feasible in this case?"

I appreciate that DRC SELECT CHECK exists for choosing between desired checks of interest but for DRC that may be a very common use model... to run just certain checks on a design at different times. With LVS it sounds like a new use model may be developing... maybe something where end users of a rule file will need to run a certain subset of devices throughout the life of the design. Maybe the rulefiles come from a 3rd party and they can't be modified by end users. R&D may be inclined to suggest that the 3rd party vendor update the rulefiles so that different users can use conditionals.

Just some ideas, I'd be very interested to hear inputs and ideas from you and others. Maybe we can come up with a workable solution together.