13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2010 8:51 AM by Wolfgang_Antrey

Symbols & parts name extraction.

birla.manoharan

Hi

How do I generate a report from Library Manager of Cells, Symbols & parts as a text or Excel file?

Regards

Birla. M

• 1. Re: Symbols & parts name extraction.
          strangd

Use Report Writer.  You should be able to find it under the Windows Start Menu go to All Programs | Mentor Graphics SDD | layout | Report Writer.  When Report Writer opens under File select Extract.  The next dialog box select Central Library, check Create Database Now and click the OK button.  This will open a browser window.  Navigate to the library .lmc file, select it and click the Open button.  Report Wrtiter is also a button in the Expedition menus.

The resulting Excel database file will be the old Jet database engine format for Access.  You should be able to open the database in any recent version of Excel.

Have fun

Dwain

• 2. Re: Symbols & parts name extraction.
            terry_lovell

Hi Birla,

There may be an easier way to perform this same task, if so I'm not aware of it, so I'll provide you my only known solution.

Are you familiar with Report Writer (RW)? If not and you have it loaded, you can launch this tool from the Window's Start menu, All Programs > Mentor Graphics SDD > Layout > Report Writer.

When Report Writer is launched, the first task is to extract an .MDL database from your Central Library (CL), so select the File > Extract Data command to start this process.

This will open an Extractor Selection dialog, select the radial button located next to the Central Library item and verify that the Create Database Now option is checked, click the OK button.

This will open a Select Central Library browse window, browse, located and select the Central Library .LMC file, then click the Open button, this will load all the data from the CL into Report Writer at the same time creating the needed .MDL file.

(If you look in your Central Library container at this point, you will find a new folder named VBReport. Within this folder exists an Output folder where the newly *.MDL file was created).

Now that the *.MDL file has been created and all the CL data has just been loaded into RW, you now can extract your needed reports. Select the File > Open Reports command, this will open the Open Report dialog with a list of pre-exiting report types (*.rpl) that is delivered with the software. Below I've provided a description of each report type:

cellpartition.rpl - Cells w/descriptions, including Mechanical & Drawing cells, with partition name

commprop.rpl - User defined common properties added using the Property Definition Editor

padstack.rpl - Padstacks w/defined technology

partpartition.rpl - Part Number, w/Part Name & Part Label, categorized by partition name

searchpath.rpl - Search paths defined in the Partition Search Paths

stackup.rpl - Padstack stackup report, reports pads defined for Top, Bottom, Internal, etc.

sympartition.rpl - Symbols categorized by partition

templates.rpl - Available templates w/descriptions

If you do know RW well, you can get creative and create your own reports, if required.

When you have selected one of the delivered reports listed above, click the the Open button to display a Preview Report in the RW window. Use the toolbar commands on the Preview window to Page Up/Down, Print and/or Export rw_output.bmpthe displayed report. The Export option has many output formats, use this to create a text, Excel, etc. report type that your requesting.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Terry Lovell

Technical Marketing

Mentor Graphics SDD

• 3. Re: Symbols & parts name extraction.
              hgk-layout

perhaps there is a better way.

(I think it is a Mentor-secret).

example:

Go to C:\MentorGraphics\2007.8EE\SDD_HOME\lm\win32\bin\libPDFMenu.exe

When you start it, you can choose the library, a name for pdf output file and others.

Use the search function in pdf.

Hope it helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Symbols & parts name extraction.
                birla.manoharan

Hi Dwain

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, it is working fine.

Regards

Birla. M

• 5. Re: Symbols & parts name extraction.
                  birla.manoharan

Hi Terry

Thanks a lot for your detailed instruction, it is working fine.

Regards

Birla. M

• 6. Re: Symbols & parts name extraction.
                    birla.manoharan

Hi

I am using 2005 version and I am not able to locate the exe file which you mentioned.

Thanks for your support.

Regards

Birla. M

• 7. Re: Symbols & parts name extraction.

In the 2005 version it is located at C:\MentorGraphics\2005EXP\SDD_HOME\wg\win32\bin\libPDFMenu.exe.  However, you can also run this from within Library manager by doing File->Output PDF

• 8. Re: Symbols & parts name extraction.
                        hgk-layout

Hi, Birla,

Jeff is right.

In the same directory there is a little tool named "libtool.exe".

After extraction of the library in Report Writer as described above, you can open a file in [centrallib]\VBreport\output\[centrallib].mdl.

Günni

• 9. Re: Symbols & parts name extraction.
                          birla.manoharan

Yes, I got the required report.

Thank you.

• 10. Re: Symbols & parts name extraction.
                            birla.manoharan

Thank you, I got it.

• 11. Re: Symbols & parts name extraction.

If you want to extract the library database from the command line, create a batch file and the following line:

%SDD_HOME%\wg\win32\bin\dbauto.exe clib=L:\hba_lib\hba_lib.lmc

This will create a file in \VBReport\Output\ called hba_lib.mdl

You can open this file Microsoft Access and create custom queries, but you really can't save anything in the database.  So I can save my queries and reports, I create my own Access Database and then link to the tables in hba_lib.mdl

• 12. Re: Symbols & parts name extraction.
                                Nightwish

Hi All,

Is there a way to export all the part numbers using one cell. For example, we have 400 0603 resistors in EE2007 library and they may not be in the same part partition, in this case how to export all of the different part numbers so that I can easily know the 0603 cell has been used in which part.

Thanks,

Nightwish

• 13. Re: Symbols & parts name extraction.
                                  Wolfgang_Antrey

You could also use automation to write it to a text file .....

>>>>

Dim libObj
                                  Set libObj = Application.ActiveLibrary

' number of cells in CELL partition 15

MsgBox libobj.Partitions(kCELL).item(15).Name & " - " & libobj.Partitions(kCELL).item(15).Count

' Gives the name and number of associated parts of the 4th Cell in Cell partition 15
                                  MsgBox libobj.Partitions(kCELL).item(15).Item(4).Name & " has followings parts mapped: " & libobj.Partitions(kCELL).item(15).Item(4).AssociatedParts.Count

Dim PartObj
                                  Set PartObj = libobj.Partitions(kCELL).Item(15).Item(4).AssociatedParts

'Delivers the Name of the first mapped Part

MsgBox PartObj.Item(0).Name

<<<<<

BR

Wolfgang