6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2010 6:37 AM by yu.yanfeng

Did Anyone Run HL 8.1 ADMS Engine sucessfully on Window 7?

yu.yanfeng

We have  installed HL 8.1 on Windows 7(64Bit),  Native Hyperlynx engine run well , however ADMS engine  failed whiling extract s-paramter.  We know AMS isn't supported officially on Window 7, but HL 8.1 release notes say HL 8.1 is supported on Windows 7.

All environment variable and temp/tmp path, HYP_HOME path seems OK. Did anyone run HL 8.1 ADMS engine sucessfully on Windows 7 (64 bit)?  Updating a new version of CYGWIN may be helpful?

Yanfeng

• 1. Re: Did Anyone Run HL 8.1 ADMS Engine sucessfully on Window 7?
          yu.yanfeng

Now I got the reply from Mentor support, they say HL 8.1 ADMS engine runs well on thier Windows 7 32 /64bit machines, and tell me to check process using microsoft utility.  it may be useful to anyone having this similiar symptom(I don't Windows 7 machine on hand and can't check it).

I've now tried the S-Parameter extraction on a windows 7 machine with 32 and 64 bit Hyperlynx and both worked without any problem, I've also had feedback from other people saying this works. So the issue must be the configuration on your machine, do you have access to a different Windows 7 machine where you could test it ?

There is also a microsoft utility called "Process Monitor" that may be useful in locating the problem with this machine, see
          http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

This will allow you to see file and network access activity, this may show us why the ams process is failing ( e.g. if it's accessing a file location that does not exist or if a network port it's trying to use is blocked).

To use this, first download the utility and unpack it into a directory.
          Close as many programs, processes and services as possible leaving only hyperlynx running (the program generates a lot of data so it's the fewer processes that's running the better).
          Run the process monitor and turn off Capturing of events (the magnifying glass icon)
          Clear the display (Ctrl-X)
          Turn on the File and Network Activity filters, Turn off the registry filter.
          Open the Export S-Parameter dialog in hyperlynx
          Turn event capture back on  (the magnifying glass icon)
          Press the "Create Model" button on the Export form
          Once it has failed turn Event capture off
          Look through the list for failures pay particular interest to the hyperlynx (bsw) and vams processes, not all failures necessarily mean there is a problem but they may help us understand where things are going wrong.
          If the list is too long you can set up filters to exclude certain processes

• 2. Re: Did Anyone Run HL 8.1 ADMS Engine sucessfully on Window 7?
            Steve_McKinney

Hi Yanfeng,

Have you submitted an SR for this?  We should get customer support to look into this for you.

-Steve

• 3. Re: Did Anyone Run HL 8.1 ADMS Engine sucessfully on Window 7?
              yu.yanfeng

Hi Steve,

Mentor CSE have touched me and told they can run ADMS Engine on Windows 7. I may check it on another Windows 7 box late. Much thanks!

Yanfeng

• 4. Re: Did Anyone Run HL 8.1 ADMS Engine sucessfully on Window 7?
                yu.yanfeng

Hi Steve,

2 hours ago, I was lucky becasue i saw one of IT staffs have windows 7 X64 installed.Then I tried to install HL8.1 X64 in her desktop. The probem was same,but me immediately found the problem can be solved by simply changing Window 7 X64 desktop  AERO scenes to Windows Classic.

I guess the problem will be on all boxes with Windows vista or Windows 7 X86/X64 where AERO scenes used. If any one have similiar symptom, just change back to Windows Classic.

Yanfeng

• 5. Re: Did Anyone Run HL 8.1 ADMS Engine sucessfully on Window 7?
                  Steve_McKinney

Just to be clear, was this a problem on installation or simulation?

I talked to the QA team and had them do some quick smoke tests on this and here is what they told me:

When ADMS is started by HyperLynx, the Vista / Windows 7 display is switched to a standard mode. When the simulation is complete it switches back to the Areo mode. Many other applications also cause this to happen.  I have done this on a 64-bit Windows 7 laptop.  Simulations worked but the screen changes modes.

So it sounds like this change to the Windows Classic mode should happen automatically, but maybe there is some administrator settings that are not allowing HyperLynx and ADMS to do this?

-Steve

• 6. Re: Did Anyone Run HL 8.1 ADMS Engine sucessfully on Window 7?
                    yu.yanfeng

Hi Steve,

The problem is in simulation. It indeed automatically change mode to Windows basic (not Windows classic) and then get failed. I don't have machine with Windows  7 X86 or X64 installed, I will check it late if I find another PC with Windows 7 installed.

Much thanks!

Yanfeng