5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2010 8:39 AM by Gary_Lameris

Dxdesigner hyperlynx analog (newbie question)

Nigon

Hi, everyone

I am trying to do a hyperlynx analog simulation.

So far, this is what I figured out.

I built a circuit that has multiple component (for example, OPA2690 from Texas instrument)

In order to simulate, I need to have a model for this OPA2690. I downloaded this model in txt file version from the texas instrument.

I guess my question is, how to do a hyperlynx analog simulation ?

Can anyone tell me how to do a simulation in detail ? I mean, how to use the model to create a simulation and such.

Or if anyone knows good or useful resoures, can you please point at me because I am a bit confused. (I guess whole procedures and instructions are what I am looking for)

I thought I understand it, but I think I completely misunderstood it. I thought once build a circuit and do a simulation, that take cares of everything. However, there are ways more to it than that.

It is not like a pspice where you set up the circuit and simulate. Anyway, please let me know if anyone knows.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Dxdesigner hyperlynx analog (newbie question)
          Gary_Lameris

Download the model, unzip and rename the file from sbom147.txt to sbom147.cir

In DxDesigner, Tools Convert PSpice Libaries and import the .cir file.

In the simulation tab, drag and drop the model from the simulation tab unto the schematic to automatically create a block symbol, you can then RMB and edit the symbol to create the graphics desired.  We have several multimedia videos on this located at:

http://www.mentor.com/products/pcb-system-design/multimedia/

The documents HLA_GS.pdf could use updating to describe this, but chapter 3 of the HLA_user.pdf describes the properties required on a symbol.

The OPA2690 has embedded subcircuits in the model, these have to be split into another file and an .include statement needs to be added in the netlist header to include the additional file.  This was missing from our demos, but technical support would have quickly assisted you in this.

I have sucessfully simulated figure 36 from the OPA2690 datasheet.

Gary Lameris

• 2. Re: Dxdesigner hyperlynx analog (newbie question)
            Nigon

Hi, Gary

I still have a couple questions.

I have done what you suggested and followed them through, but I am not quite getting last step. You said "The  OPA2690 has embedded subcircuits in the model, these have to be  split  into another file and an .include statement needs to be added in  the  netlist header to include the additional file."

When I followed your instructions as;

1. download the model, unzip and rename the file from sbom147.txt to sbom147.cir. (check !)

2. In DxDesigner, Tools Convert PSpice Libaries and import the .cir file.  (check !)

3. In  the simulation tab, drag and drop the model from the simulation tab   unto the schematic to automatically create a block symbol, you can then   RMB and edit the symbol to create the graphics desired. (check !)

and I agree that the OPA2690 has embedded subcircuits in the model. (it was not just one file, it broke down to many different files) . I asssume all these components are integrated, so as whole they work as OPA2690 functionality.

You said the  OPA2690 has embedded subcircuits in the model, these have to be split  into another file and an .include statement needs to be added in the  netlist header to include the additional file.

Can you explain the red line in detail ? because I was not getting it.

Thank you very much in advance.

• 3. Re: Dxdesigner hyperlynx analog (newbie question)
              Gary_Lameris

I will attach the files to this message to demonstrate.

If you look at the .txt file from the vendor, at the bottom are several .subckt  sections.  I copied these into OPA_690_sub.mod in a \sym subfolder.

When the PSPICE model was imported, the resulting file in the library is OPA_690.mod

The netlist header can be specified on the second from the left HLA icon toolbar and I show this on the netlist_header.jpg file.

I am on holiday the next 4 days, and I may not be able to answer, if this is urgent, contact technical support for more assistance.

Gary

• 4. Re: Dxdesigner hyperlynx analog (newbie question)
                Nigon

Hi, Gary

I can see that the files that you attached are OPA690.mod and OPA690_sub.mod

In DxDesigner, Tools convert PSpice Libraries and import these two files. The files turned into HLA_OPA690.lib and HLA_OPA690_sub.lib

In Navigator menu -> simulation tab -> click HLA_OPA690.lib or HLA_OPA690_sub.lib

HLA_OPA690.lib has sub-files (opa690, dx, dn1, dn3, pnp8, npn8)

HLA_OPA690_sub.lib has sub-files (OPA690_F9, OPA690_F10, OPA690_F3, OPA690_F4, OPA690_F6, OPA690_F5, OPA690_F1, OPA690_F2)

In addition, in Netlist Header Setup, I typed exactly same thing that I saw on the image screen that you attached. (I assume this is the procedure)

After all these steps, what is next ? Is there any more steps that I need to do ? (I guess up to this point, what I learned is that if the PSpice model has subcircuits, then it needs to be broken down)

Is there any tutorial that explains how to add model or symbol in this regard for first time user ? This Spice model procedure is a bit complicated for first time user.

Please feel free to correct me if I am doing something wrong or not understanding.

Thank you very much in advance.

• 5. Re: Dxdesigner hyperlynx analog (newbie question)
                  Gary_Lameris

I did not import the _sub.mod into the spice library, it is included in the netlist header.

Next I made a test circuit and simulated without error.