13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2010 5:46 AM by jduquette

RSS feeds - how long until they post?

jduquette

Do the RSS feeds go out as soon as a new post is added?  Hourly?  Daily?

Thanks,

John D

• 1. Re: RSS feeds - how long until they post?
          jduquette

Never mind; I just received my own post instantly!

Is there a way to reply to a RSS feed without viewing the article first?

Thanks,

John D

• 2. Re: RSS feeds - how long until they post?
            jduquette

Hmm, when the article was created it showed up in my RSS feed, but none of the replys did.  That doesn't seem right.  Is that how a RSS feed is supposed to work?

John D

• 3. Re: RSS feeds - how long until they post?
              pete_rishel

Hi John,

RSS feeds are triggered by new discussions only, and as you noted, are immediately posted to your feed aggregator.

The email notifications option will send discussion updates. The email notifications are staged and released every 24 hours or so (for parent communities like PCB Design), and more often for sub-communities (the emails seem to be triggered by individual response submission in these sections.)

Best regards--

Pete

• 4. Re: RSS feeds - how long until they post?
                jduquette

So the RSS feed tells me when someone asks for help, but doesn't show me the' conversation' that solves their problem, right?

I set up my e-mail preferences for all notifications.  If I understand correctly that means I get e-mailed when responses occur after I've replied, so I should get to follow 'conversations' that I took place in at least once, right?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: RSS feeds - how long until they post?
                  george_defond

John:

On the right sid eof this page on supportnet there is a field called Actions. It allows you to select this topic as one that you want to follow. I get an email every time there is a new response with a link in the email to open IE and open the thread. It works great.

George

• 6. Re: RSS feeds - how long until they post?
                    pete_rishel

John--George is correct. Use this email notification option for every sub-community in which you'd like email notifications. You'll receive updates about all communications within that community, not just the conversations that you participate in.

Best regards,

Pete

(Mentor Community Admin)

• 7. Re: RSS feeds - how long until they post?
                      jduquette

Ah, there's the trick!  Enabling e-mail for the whole community is great!  I was afraid I'd have to do that for every message.  Thanks!

• 8. Re: RSS feeds - how long until they post?
                        jduquette

I delete old threads that aren't interesting.  The RSS feed keeps redownloading them every few days. Is there a way to turn that off and only get new content sent/e-mailed?

Thanks,

• 9. Re: RSS feeds - how long until they post?
                          pete_rishel

Try clicking on the "Your Stuff" navigation and click "Preferences." There is a tab for email notifications. Go in there and see if you can adjust the feeds to your liking.

thanks--

Pete

• 10. Re: RSS feeds - how long until they post?
                            pete_rishel

You can also adjust the notifications by specific discussion. Go to your profile and in the "Actions" pod to the right there's a selection for "Manage email notifications." Click on that and you'll be able to remove email notifications for particular discussions.

Thanks

Pete

• 11. Re: RSS feeds - how long until they post?
                              jduquette

Thanks for the tips, Pete.  I still can't figure out how to get it to not keep sending me e-mails that I've deleted?  Can you provide step-by-step details on how you would set that up?  I also seem to get old e-mails (pre 9/14/10 when I joined the list); either I already deleted these once or the RSS feed didn't send them to me earlier?

Also, I get one copy of the e-mail from the sender and another copy from "community_admin@mentor.com".  How do I turn off the latter so I only receive one e-mail?

Has anyone else noticed that Outlook 2007 doesn't do a good job of sorting by subject on this list?  I'm used to 'sort by subject' keeping the thread together, but that doesn't happen on this list.  The original post is sorted separately from the replys.  Does anyone have any tricks for that?

Thanks,

John D

• 12. Re: RSS feeds - how long until they post?
                                pete_rishel

Hi John, sorry it took a little while to get back to you. All the issues you have stem from your profile settings, and/or the email notifications you have set for various sub-communities here. If you have an RSS feed or email notification set for a parent community, and then have another set for a sub-community, that's probably the reason for multiple notifications. For example, if you had notifications for the general Mentor PCB Community site and "PADS- Desktop PCB Design," then you will likely get two notifications when a new discussion arises in the PADS community. If that's the case, you'll have to look at your subscriptions, and then remove those least important to you in the "Actions" box on that page.

If you're tired of getting notifications from individual discussions, go to "profile" under "your stuff" in the navigation. In the "Actions" box on the left hand side, select "Manage email notifications." You'll be able to select and delete notifications there.

Pete

• 13. Re: RSS feeds - how long until they post?
                                  jduquette

Thanks Pete.  George's response from 9/16/2010 just popped into my e-mail box so I saw that there was activity on this thread.

I deleted my sub-communities so I'll see what happens.