1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 27, 2010 4:17 PM by jim.granville

Difference between DX Designer & PADS Logic

lee.smith

Hi,

My names Lee Smith and I have just started a new role as an Electronics Design Engineer, and I am seeking advice on the PADS ES Suite.

We currently have licenses for the PADS ES Suite, but at present we only use PADS Logic, PADS Layout and PADS Router for our designs and would like to look at using the simulation side of the PADS suite which we purchased

From what I can initially gather DX Designer appears to be able to do all the same things that PADS Logic can do, with the addition of incorporating some extra tools such as a component data-base and setting up for the simulation. If anyone has quick answers to the below questions to point me in the correct direction it would be much appreciated ?

1) Why are there two packages namely PADS Logic and DX Designer within the same suite when they appear to do much of the same thing ? What is the difference ?. Is the reason historical ?.

2) Can schematics from within PADS Logic be directly opened in DX Desiger ?. If not is there a simple conversion package available ?.

3) Am I correct in assuming you can only build simulateable circuits from within DX Designer ?.

4) How do all the PADS packages link together ?. I have previously seen a flow chart showing this in the help menu when I had an evaluation version for briefly looking into, but after upgrading to the latest official version I can no longer find this

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer sound advice on the above

Lee

• 1. Re: Difference between DX Designer & PADS Logic
          jim.granville

lee.smith wrote

1) Why are there two packages namely PADS Logic and DX Designer within the same suite when they appear to do much of the same thing ? What is the difference ?. Is the reason historical ?

Yes, the reason is historical. They arrived in PADS via different pathways. PADS Logic came from the same camp as PADS Layout, so is closer operationally/GUI, and you can share scripts & 2D lines between Logic and Layout. DxDesigner came from ViewDraw.

2) Can schematics from within PADS Logic be directly opened in DX Desiger ?.

Yes.

3) Am I correct in assuming you can only build simulateable circuits from within DX Designer ?.

Here, it gets a little murkier. Spice uses Attributes and model mapping, to manage the important details for SImulation

Those will translate across from Logic, but the missing link, is a Logic-Version, of the Spice-Aware DxDesigner Libraries.

We have asked Mentor to provide a DxD to Logic translation pathway (at least for libraries, to mirror the existing Logic to DxD), and doing that would allow Logic users to create SCHs in Logic (which they are very used to), and then use DxD purely as the Spice Shell. Not sure on the status of this.

hth