5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2010 2:57 PM by chris_balcom

how to create database file(.db) from gds using command line?

suha.sipahi

Can anyone inform me about how to record macros in Mentor?

All i need to do  is running Calibre XRC  in batch mode. But runset file needs a database file whose extension is  .db

Only way to create this .db from gds file is  opening ICstudio and running PEX manually once.

but i dont want to open icstudio. I need to run Pex directly from command line.

But if i have the macro record, i would run it  in command line without opening icstudio.

• 1. Re: how to create database file(.db) from gds using command line?
          chris_balcom

Hi Suha,

The file format may be identical for the .db and .gds files.

Maybe a quick way to test this would be to create a link with a .db extension, to the .gds file then run the job and see if it works properly. Or if the file is small enough you might simply copy it to a new name with .db extension (or just rename the gds file to .db file) and try the job.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how to create database file(.db) from gds using command line?
            suha.sipahi

Thanks Chris

I will try that and let you know the result

• 3. Re: how to create database file(.db) from gds using command line?
              suha.sipahi

Hi again Chris

You are right, both files can work for each other.

I am trying to run Calibre xRC from command line. I have the .gds file and  .src.net file and also  pex.runset

I am editing this pex.runset by changing the .db extension into .gds

and it is working properly.After extraction,  it creates many files including  netlist , .pxi files

but this pxi file is empty.

Do you think why is that so?

By the way   running calibre from command line is possible right?

I need output file for HSPICE.

thanks

• 4. Re: how to create database file(.db) from gds using command line?
                samantha_lizak

Hi Suha-

Calibre can most definitely be run from the command line; that used to be the easiest way to run the newer features in PEX.

To use your runset in batch mode, try

calibre -gui -pex -runset <runset filename> -batch

To run PEX without Calibre Interactive, see the Calibre xRC User's Manual -- there are a ton of command line options depending on what you want to do.

HSPICE is certainly possible, but the exact SVRF command depends on the version of Calibre you are running. In the older versions, it was PEX Netlist Distributed or PEX Netlist Lumped, and you would give HSPICE as the format. I'm unsure of the newer format, but if you grep your __rules__ for "HSPICE" it should be there.

As for the empty .pxi file, there could be several reasons. The .pxi contains the instantiation of the parasitic models; if you have done a "Simple" (maybe called "ideal"
                now) extraction, there are no parasitics to instantiate. (The "simple" (that is, no parasitics) model is for checking that the xRC output is logically identical to the input.) Another cause would be in a hierarchical extraction if the only shapes at the top level are ports; in that case, look for <cell_name>.pxi files.  (This generalizes to if there was nothing at the top level to extract -- for example, if you excluded all the top-level nets somehow.) A third reason was that something was misconfigured -- look for warnings in the transcript.  (Customer support is expert at sifting through all the messages, if you would like some assistance there.)

Good luck-

Sam.

• 5. Re: how to create database file(.db) from gds using command line?
                  chris_balcom

Hi Sam,

Thanks! I don't have any PEX experience and besides, it's just better when more people join in to help anyway I think.

-chris