7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2010 5:53 AM by acu_guild

Custom profiles use

acu_guild

Hi i have a deck (calibrate ont 2008.3 version of Calibre), with 2 custom profiles and filed profile. I start to make the manual part of the deck - connect statments, alises, capacitance order. But i have error on the first layer of the capacitance order and the deck can't compile (may be here i am not using the right term). Should the profiels be enabled first - i mean set some variable to true? Can i switch them all at once? Should the deck works if there are no alias statemetns? I can provide more detailed information if needed.

Thanks

Angel

• 1. Re: Custom profiles use
          samantha_lizak

Hi Angel-

More detail would be helpful -- mostly, what is the error message?  Also, what do you mean by "compile"?  I'm guessing you mean when you run the PDB or PHDB steps in xRC but you might be doing something else.

One thing that might cause an issue (I am not sure) is if you add the manual statements directly into the foundry-provided file. What I've seen generally used is to create your own file with the manual rules and include the foundry part with an SVRF Include statement. (The overall rule file then can look either as a chain -- general SVRF calls your PEX rules calls the foundry rules) or with just two levels (general SVRF calls the foundry rules, and either calls your PEX rules or has them inline). Which one works for you depends on your company's structure.

Regards-

Sam.

• 2. Re: Custom profiles use
            acu_guild

The error is the following :

undifined layer name paramter: POFI

This is the first layer that should be in the capacitance order.

By "compile" i mean when you load the deck in the PEX form. It makes some check or things like that. The SVRF manual statments acording to my expirience are not an isuue if they are add directly in the PEX deck, but i will try to include them as separate file.

However i think that the issue is related to the ALIASE statments. I think all layers should be aliased to the according LVS layers, expetially these that have VIAs between them. I am going to try (this will need some LVS corrections). I think that i can send even deck and LVS, because this is university related project and i think is not confidential.

Best Regards

• 3. Re: Custom profiles use
              acu_guild

The main question is how Calibre switch between the profiels and how it determins wich one to use. I have filed and 2 custom profiles (not active, sdcont, gate diffcap).

Thanks

Angel

• 4. Re: Custom profiles use
                samantha_lizak

Hi Angel-

"Undefined layer name parameter" can come from scads of sources. The basic meaning is that Calibre isn't seeing a layer definition it needs. That error often comes from typos. Depending on your settings, Calibre may consider "m1" and "M1" to be different layers. It can also be that the nesting of #IFDEFs results in rules you thought were being used being omitted instead. At least one technote that came up implied it could also be from having the wrong layer type in some DFM commands.

Another source for the error that is specific to xRC is when the LVS rules do not contain all the primary layers listed in the PEX rules. (I believe PEX Alias is in part to handle this. But anything declared as a LAYER for the PEX rules must also be a LAYER in the LVS rules.)  There is an in-depth explanation of it in TechNote MG524225:

http://supportnet.mentor.com/reference/technotes/public/technote.cfm?tn=mg524225

If this isn't enough to help you debug on your own, the next step would be to file a service request -- the customer support guys will need to see your rule file (including all included parts) and a transcript so they can trace what is happening. If you do file a service request, also include the runset (usually called __rules__). It shows the settings as Calibre Interactive sees them. They aren't always what we would expect because of preference settings and environment variables.

Good luck-

Sam.

• 5. Re: Custom profiles use
                  samantha_lizak

Hi Angel-

In newer versions of xRC (and Calibre Interactive), profiles are handled automatically. Calibre selects the most appropriate rule from the calibrated rules without the user having to do anything.

In old (2007ish) versions, it was controlled by an environment variable. The header information in the xCalibrate-generated rules described what to set.

2008 would have been during the transition period. I'm reasonably sure that profiles were already handled automatically, but it should say in the header of the generated file.  You may even find that the file has a generated Capacitance Order statement already in it. (If so, it should be in the clear text portion, not the encrypted.)

To get Calibre Interactive to detect an environment variable, set it in your shell before invoking CI. There is also a method for setting environment variables in the GUI after invoking; the Calibre Interactive manual should have more information on that. You'll still need to set the variable before kicking off the run, as it affects extraction calculations and not merely what is reported.

Hope this helps-

Sam.

• 6. Re: Custom profiles use
                    acu_guild

Hi Samantha,

Ok the profiles are handeled automatically. But how the tool deremine which one to use. For example in the active profile i think this is set by the auxiliary layers. I am not sure even for them. If i have a custom profile, can i use different auxilary layers to "activate" the profile. The technology that i am trying to create has non planar metals. I am trying to describe them using custom profiles. For example i have one and the same set of 3 poly metals. In the filed profile they are separated by one dielectric each. But i want to specify a custom profile where two of these two layers are touching. Of course i know that this is not supproted and i put fake via. So if i use the bottom layer as auxilliar (with unique name in the LVS and PEX deck),to "activate" the profile will the profile work. Tommorow morrning my time i will attach the .tm file so you can see what i am trying to do. I will post an SR if of course this one with the custom profiles is supproted.

Thanks

Angel

• 7. Re: Custom profiles use
                      acu_guild

Hi I can't connect to the supprot. Perhaps it needs something more then just registration. Can you tell me how to get access to it.

Mean wille i still have one and the same error when loading the deck. I am attaching the .tm the build deck and the LVS deck if they can help debug. I don't attach runset because it should be enought to just load the PEX deck.

Thanks Angel