3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 10:07 AM by weston_beal

Temperature setting for a board sim

eric.t.lynum

Does Hyperlynx reliably give simulations over a temperature range, isn't that more ibis specific even though you have a termperature setting on the tool when you do batch simulations for a board.

• 1. Re: Temperature setting for a board sim
          weston_beal

The temperature setting refers to the PCB while the temperature of the IC is included in the IBIS information. Notice in the stackup editor, in the Metal tab, there is a column for T coef, the temperature coefficient of the metal for each layer. The idea is that changing the temperature of the PCB changes the metal resistance, and this affects the trace losses.

• 2. Re: Temperature setting for a board sim
            eric.t.lynum

I've changed the temperature setting for the PCB and I really haven't seen any difference as far as the SI analysis with making that changes over a temperature range.  Is it really effective?

• 3. Re: Temperature setting for a board sim
              weston_beal

It has been a while since I worked with this, but as I recall, it works as expected. You may need to alter your expectations, though. The temperature change has a small effect on the resistance and the resistance has a small effect on the loss (depending on the frequency), and the loss may have a small effect on the resulting signal. In order to see a significant change in the results, you need to make a drastic, probably unrealistic, change in the PCB temperature.