2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 10:20 AM by george_defond

How to set design rules at schematic level before routing.

kannan.sha

Hi

I am trying to set all the Design Rules at the schematic Level(Pads Logic) to route my PCB in PADS Layout.

I have a doubt how to assign different VIAS to the different nets. we have option to assign different trace width, clearance etc etc to the different nets by assigning the Net Class. but when looking at Vias we have only one option i.e STANDARDVIA.

Actually i want to assign small Vias to all the Signal Nets and Big Vias to all the Power/Ground Nets.

Please share your knowledge about this issue.

Thanks in advance

Sha

• 1. Re: How to set design rules at schematic level before routing.
          jduquette

As of V9 all of the design rules are shared between Logic and Layout.  I haven't gone into detail on setting these yet, but I do know that a warning dialog pops up when you ECO from Logic to Layout that the vias defined in Logic must be present in Layout.  While there may be an easier way, I'd start with setting yoru design rules in Layout and then 'ECO from PCB' to load the rules into Logic.

In the 'PADS Layout Link' dialog box (<Tools><Pads Layout...> on the Design tab there are checkboxes for 'Include Design Rules in Net list' and 'Compare Design Rules' so you can pass the rules back and forth between Logic and Layout.

• 2. Re: How to set design rules at schematic level before routing.
            george_defond

Dukie:

FYI In 9.0 if you have the units in mils in the schematic and send the rules to Layout (if you check the box in the Layout Linik to include rules), and the if the Layout is in metric.... you will create a problem in the database because it will not properly interpret the units. This is cleared up in 9.2 (I dunno about 9.1).

Just a little heads-up from your Uncle George