4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2010 10:13 PM by Wolfgang_Antrey

DxDesigner + DxDataBook and Live Verification Process Time

greg.funk

As I'm typing this I'm currently waiting for a Live Verification to finish on my project. I want to ask what's a "normal" amount of time for this to take? I have a somewhat complex mixed-signal board with 32 pages in the schematic. I'm not sure of the component count off hand...but for the part verification process I choose "Hierarchical Verification" and the process takes about 30 minutes where the entire DxDesigner program is not responding. Then I get a list of components to update where I then click "Update all Unique Matches"...and wait another 30 minutes...to which I can then finish the steps and click "Update Design"...and  wait another 30 minutes...

While I enjoy the nice break from productivity this gives me from time to time, I'd like to know if this is normal. If it's not normal, then where is the magic checkbox I need to check to make it go fast?

I've noticed CPU usage hovers around 25% while Live Verification is busy, and network usage is pretty much peaked - this tells me it's doing a lot of chatting with our database server (I assume), which I don't understand. How much data is required that it caps a 100Mbps connection for an hour and a half?

Also, my PC is still usable during this time, so the OS still seems to be fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there an obvious solution?

-Frustrated Engineer

• 1. Re: DxDesigner + DxDataBook and Live Verification Process Time
          greg.funk

I should add that our entire engineering department experiences this, not just me. We've apparently come to accept it as a fault in either the software or our setup and act like it's normal. In my opinion it's unacceptable and a solution needs to be found...

• 2. Re: DxDesigner + DxDataBook and Live Verification Process Time
            ted_casper

Greg,

Here is how we have cut the process time.

1) Close all but one page (suggest the one with the least number of components) of the schematic.  Since DxDesigner wants to update the screen with each change, having sheets open slows the process down.

2) Sort the list in DxDataBook by symbol name before applying the update.  This seems to keep DxDataBook hunting in the same table and symbol libraries and not switching between them.

3) Make sure your symbol directories do not have a viewdraw.ini file in them.  Don't know why but it helped our speed.

Hope this helps

Ted

• 3. Re: DxDesigner + DxDataBook and Live Verification Process Time
              taco.de.vries

I am not sure what setup you are using, but we have seen a huge improvement

when we moved dxdatabook from using .csv files to a relational database (oracle/mysql)

I cannot recall the exact numbers, but the 'initial verification' that is the first load

did go down from several hours to several minutes.

Taco

• 4. Re: DxDesigner + DxDataBook and Live Verification Process Time
                Wolfgang_Antrey

Hi,

We do have the same problems, but not in that amount of time.

The databook uses an MDB source from MS Access. The data for MS Access comes from a simple text file.

Having the database on a network drives it takes about 5-10 times longer to verify a design. Just copying the textfile and the Database to a local harddrive speeds up.

We only must be aware of the synchronization of the textfile. Our textfile is generated daily out of SAP.

For my part - I only use local Dx databook configuration!

br

Wolfgang