AnsweredAssumed Answered

Array of pins in symbol editor

Question asked by davide.camerano on Dec 16, 2010
Latest reply on Dec 16, 2010 by robert_davies

In the symbl editor (release 7.9.1) I can add a pin array. This is very useful to create large components (for example connectors with a lot of pins, FPGAs, etc...).

A window opens and it is possible to define the pin spacing. Very nice feature, because the default (3 grid steps) is too much in the majority of the cases.

I can also create a cvs file, import it in the pins window, and then drag a group of pins into the symbol.

And is possible to create the whole symbol by the menu command File-->Generate symbol from pins...

In these two ways the result is somehow similar to the add array command. But it is not possible to set the pin spacing. So if you create a 150 pins connector, then you have to manually arrange all the pins.

In the first way, there is a tick: the last add pin array command setting is stored somewhere and when you drag a group of pins the pin spacing is maintained.

But in the second way a new component is created and there is no way to bypass the manual pin arranging.

I searched for a setting of the pin spacing in the preferences, but I coudn't find any.

Is there a setting that I did not notice? Is there a manual .ini/.xml/.cfg file editing that I can do?

regards

Davide Camerano

Outcomes