1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 16, 2010 5:53 AM by robert_davies

Array of pins in symbol editor

davide.camerano

In the symbl editor (release 7.9.1) I can add a pin array. This is very useful to create large components (for example connectors with a lot of pins, FPGAs, etc...).

A window opens and it is possible to define the pin spacing. Very nice feature, because the default (3 grid steps) is too much in the majority of the cases.

I can also create a cvs file, import it in the pins window, and then drag a group of pins into the symbol.

And is possible to create the whole symbol by the menu command File-->Generate symbol from pins...

In these two ways the result is somehow similar to the add array command. But it is not possible to set the pin spacing. So if you create a 150 pins connector, then you have to manually arrange all the pins.

In the first way, there is a tick: the last add pin array command setting is stored somewhere and when you drag a group of pins the pin spacing is maintained.

But in the second way a new component is created and there is no way to bypass the manual pin arranging.

I searched for a setting of the pin spacing in the preferences, but I coudn't find any.

Is there a setting that I did not notice? Is there a manual .ini/.xml/.cfg file editing that I can do?

regards

Davide Camerano

• 1. Re: Array of pins in symbol editor
          robert_davies

In 7.9.1 pin spacing is based on the pin length setting so you cannot adjust it. In 7.9.2 it will have its own settings, so you will be able to set it separately to pin length. For now there is no workaround.

Here's a little tip by the way, you can dynamically change the pin spacing when using the array command by using the CTL key plus the middle scroll mouse button, so if you forget to set the spacing in the dialog you can still adjust the pins.