4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2011 11:36 PM by Nuri

How to add connector parts (contacts, seals, locks, etc) automatically?

Boudewijn

How to add connector parts (contacts, seals, locks, etc) automatically?

I have a 20 pin connector of which 12 cavities are used.

How to get 12 of the matching contacts, 12 matching seals and 8 plugs automatically in my harness drawing and BOM?

Can I add these parts in `VeSys Components' to the concerned connector?

• 1. Re: How to add connector parts (contacts, seals, locks, etc) automatically?
          mike_templeman

Hi Boudewijn,

Yes you can use the Component Library for this.

You can add contacts, seals and plugs for a given connector using the 'Housing' tab:

housing tab.PNG

Then later working in VeSys Harness, use Cavity Component Manager to automatically add these parts (Tools > Cavity Component Manager).  VeSys will add in the Contacts, Seals and the correct number of Cavity Plugs (provided you have contacts and seals setup for wire sizes in use)

You can also add locks, and anti-backouts in the same manner as above.  Note you can set components as madatory or optional along with a quantity.  If madatory, the component is automatically added to the BOM if optional you will be prompted to attach the component, which is upto you.

I hope this answers your question,

Mike

• 2. Re: How to add connector parts (contacts, seals, locks, etc) automatically?
            Sysign

Just to further elaborate on Mike's comments.

A critical prerequisite to accurate automatic terminal and seal selection is proper setup of these components in the library.  Adding parts to the (connector) Housing tab will make their selection possible in Cavity Component Manager, but reliable "automatic" selection requires proper constraint configuration for each terminal and seal part number.

You may want to first setup Wire Group Definition Codes to define "groups" of wire sizes and insulation thickness ranges based on the component manufacturer's specification you are working with.  Then apply these codes to define individual terminal or seal part number constraints (Single/Multiple Wire Fits Cavity).  This takes some time to set up, but will save time later when you add wires to the library.  Updating a few Wire Group Definition codes is far easier than locating and changing many terminal / seal part number details.

You can also enter a "Factor" attribute (Housing Tab) to influence initial "automatic" selection.

Hope this also helps,

-James

• 3. Re: How to add connector parts (contacts, seals, locks, etc) automatically?
              Michael

Hello,

I am currently having issues with connectors automatically selecting terminals per the wire spec inserted into the cavity. I have migrated from a VeSys component library so I am wondering if that may have caused an issue as the auto selection used to work in VeSys Classic. What action prompts VeSys 2.0 to populate (select) the terminal part numbers? Is that only done on the syncronizing from a diagram?

Any help troubleshooting why terminals are not autoselected would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

• 4. Re: How to add connector parts (contacts, seals, locks, etc) automatically?
                Nuri

Hi Mike,

To select the terminal part, you should just RMB on the Connector then select "Cavity Component Management" at that point the terminal shall be selected.  If this is not working then I suggest you raise a support query,

Thanks,

Nuri