3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2010 10:35 AM by jduquette

Non Electrical Layer usage

wolferm

Hello All,

For Non Electrical Layers I see that PADS delivers Decals with items which would be part outlines assigned to ALL Layers?

Why would that be? Is it more of a default till a user goes in and assigns a dedicated layer for Top Part Outline etc.

I noticed same for dwg formats they sem to eb assigned to all layers.

Or am I missing something with a basic concept of how PADS does things?

I would have thought there would have been dedicated layers for top/bottom assy outlines separate from top & bottom assembly

drawing items?

If someone used those decals as is and did gerbers would you get that outline put on all layers then?

Thanks

Bob

• 1. Re: Non Electrical Layer usage
          jduquette

I've never understood that either.  It seems like the simplest approach - define your refdes and then select it for the Silkscreen  and Assembly layers.  That works great until you realize the silkscreen text needs to be in a different location than the assembly text.

I define all items on the appropriate layers; if I see something in a decal on 'all layers' I know the decal is not complete yet.

John D

• 2. Re: Non Electrical Layer usage
            wolferm

John,

Thanks, so for the most part, you either use Top & Bot Assy layer to do all of this

or use other layer #s then cosistantly to be top or bottom part outlines.

There does nor seem to be any way to then add a pair or associate new two layers

so that they will push & mirror when changing from top to bottom part?

Bob

• 3. Re: Non Electrical Layer usage
              jduquette

The silkscreen and assy layers are relative to the decal whether it is on the top or the bottom.  If you flip a component to the other side it also flips all the silk and assy layers; SM and paste too.  I've never tried that with other layers.

John D