8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2010 5:05 PM by mingpeng

Replace all same partnumber symbol instances

mingpeng

We want to replace all symbols with same partnumber in DxDesigner, and change to use another part number symbol,   but there is no direct command and functions allowing us to do that.

We can consider to use variant management to replace the part, however, it is not what we need.

Is there any easy way that allow us to replace all same partnumber symbols together instead of replacing them one by one?

• 1. Re: Replace all same partnumber symbol instances
          yu.yanfeng

Hi Ming,

Yes. You can replace all symbols at once. This is a two-steps operation.

First, you select the symbol which you wanna replace it, click the RMB-Replace symbol and click the new part number in Databook, you will see the new ymbol/part name now is in the Replace Symbol/Part dialog. Then you click menu Edit-Find /replace, fill in the old part number in the dialog and click the button "find all"(with project), you will see it reports "found xxx of xxx".Now it 's time to click the button replace in Replace Symbol/Part dialog(set the option of all open sheets).

Yanfeng

• 2. Re: Replace all same partnumber symbol instances
            mingpeng

Thanks a lot, yan-feng.

This solution can partially meet our needs.  I still have some other questions when I use your method to replace the symbols.

1.  After the symbol replacement, Many properties from DxDB are not updated, e.g.  Part lable, COST, description etc.

2.  symbol connection is broken in DxDesigner schematics if I have adjust the orientation before.

Thanks

Myles

• 3. Re: Replace all same partnumber symbol instances
              yu.yanfeng

Hi Myles,

For propertis update,  there are some opitions (replace symbol or replace part; schematics wins or  symbol wins etc)allowing you to select.

Symbol/part replacement can't automatically keep the connections, so you have to re-connect wires if you new symbol have a differenrent graphics with old one.

We normally replace symbol/part for RLC only(etc 0603 RLC -> 0402 RLC), and we draw RLC symbols with same size. I don't see there is a schematic entry tool have the capability to automatically repair the broken connection. In fact, it's not possible.

Yanfeng

• 4. Re: Replace all same partnumber symbol instances
                mingpeng

Yes, understood.

The broken connection is brought by the orientation change between old and new symbol even they use the same size. we create different symbol files for different orientation of a part.  Since we replace many placed symbols at the same time in DxDesigner with a single new symbol, the orientation of some symbols don't match, that result in the broken connectivity.

Regarding the properties, we have company properties that are from DxDB, not from library.  Replace symbol/part does not take into consideration these part properties, so I have to use verification function to update the missing properties.

Thanks once more.  Your reply is very helpful.

Myles 

• 5. Re: Replace all same partnumber symbol instances
                  yu.yanfeng

Hi Myles,

Which version of Dxdesigner you used?  Normally, the broken connectionss be caused by different graphics size or the oringin of the symbol, not the rotation angle. Please check your symbols carefully . I suggest you move the RLC symbol's origin to the graphic center if you frequently need to replace those RLC parts.

If you hope bring up those properties in Dxdatabook to the symbol, you should don't forget to add property names(a holder) in the symbol.

Yanfeng

• 6. Re: Replace all same partnumber symbol instances
                    mingpeng

Hi yan-feng,

In my case, one of the old symbols is a vertical placement symbol, its file name is xxxx.2 according to our naming conversion,  when we replace all symbols, we use a horizontal placement symbol for the new part, file name is xxxx.1,  then the old vertical symbol is replaced by new horizontal symbol, and I see one side of connection for the symbol(resistor) is broken, at least, it look like that.  

My version is EE7.9.1.

For the properties in DxDatabook Database, should we have the same set of properties defined in central library PDB?

Myles

• 7. Re: Replace all same partnumber symbol instances
                      yu.yanfeng

Hi Myles,

Something may be misunstanded. The tool keeps the rotation of old symbol during replacement, that's the mechanism and not a bug. For your case, You will see broken connection if you replace rotated vertical symbols(horizontal in schematics) with a horizontal symbol becasue this horizontal will get rotated because old symbol have rotated.

Currently, Dxdatabook havn't get integrated with PDB, you can't forward properties values in dxdatabook into local PDB.

Yanfeng

• 8. Re: Replace all same partnumber symbol instances
                        mingpeng

hi yanfeng,

Your explanation sounds reasonable. I believe that is what dxdesigner behaves for symbol replacement.

thank you once more.

Happy new year!

Myles