9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2011 2:09 PM by yu.yanfeng

OrCAD -> HyperLynx SI

MaBUa Master

Hello alll,

may somebody help me with this question: Can HyperLynx (BoardSim) load OrCAD (layout) data to be able to analyze them?

I saw that the only hyp file format is able to open in BoardSim.

Many thanks

Martin

• 1. Re: OrCAD -> HyperLynx SI
          yu.yanfeng Master

Hi Martin,

Now Orcad is a low-tier Allegro(Cadence have banned old Orcard layout) , so you can import .brd file to Hyperlynx if you have Orcad Editor Allegro installed on the same machine(no Cadence licese needed).  If it is an old Orcad layout database, you can first export it to CCT file(.dsn file) from the old Orcad Layout ,and import it to Hyperlynx.

Yanfeng

• 2. Re: OrCAD -> HyperLynx SI
            MaBUa Master

Hi Yu.Yanfeng,

thank you for your message...

I have a .brd file (only .brd file - it is binary file format) and I don't know how to import it in to HyperLynx BoardSim... I can load only .hyp file (filter only for .hyp)

Can yo help me? any converter?

Martin

• 3. Re: OrCAD -> HyperLynx SI
              yu.yanfeng Master

1.PNG

Hi Martin

If you have Allegro installed on the machine,  you can click the pcb icon and select .brd file type or .dsn file. If you select .brd file type, all traces and planes data all be translated into Hyperlynx(.dsn file can be output from Allegro, but no planes data).

I can help you to translate.

Yanfeng

• 4. Re: OrCAD -> HyperLynx SI
                MaBUa Master

Hi Yanfeng,

many thanks for your help

But my situation is that I have only HyperLynx and ExpeditionPCb flow on my machine.

The OrCAD file .brd I got by email from our potential HyperLynx customer.

Any clue?

Many thanks

Martin

• 5. Re: OrCAD -> HyperLynx SI
                  yu.yanfeng Master

Without Allegro or Allegro view plus installed, You have to notify the customer to send .dsn file to you. The .dsn file can be export from Allegro(File-Export-router ...)

Yanfeng

• 6. Re: OrCAD -> HyperLynx SI
                    MaBUa Master

Good evening Yanfeng,

many thanks for your help.... but It seems I'n not able to to open OrCAD design into HyperLynx without installed any tool from Allegro.

There is only .hyp file possibility to load on my machine..

From your picture I see that you are able to load several formats into but I have as a told only Expedition Flow installed.

So many thanks Yanfeng

Martin

• 7. Re: OrCAD -> HyperLynx SI
                      weston_beal Intermediate

If you do not have Allegro installed, you need the details from this technote:

http://supportnet.mentor.com/reference/technotes/public/technote.cfm?tn=mg521546

This one is specific to HyperLynx 8.0, but if you are using 8.1 or 7.7 there are links at the bottom of this technote to others with details specific to the other versions. You need to read the section about

Method 3.  HyperLynx Installed Locally, but no Access to Allegro

Weston

• 8. Re: OrCAD -> HyperLynx SI
                        MaBUa Master

Weston,

Great!!

I try it

Many thanks

Martin

• 9. Re: OrCAD -> HyperLynx SI
                          yu.yanfeng Master

Hi Martin,

Weston's method is ok, but more complicated than .DSN file method. Why not let your prospective customer output .dsn file and send to you?

You have mentioned that your Hyperlynx havn't the pcb icon just like me's. This make me confused because PCB data translation isn't a licensed feature and included in Hyperlynx install kit. I means that the pcb data translation always installed whatever what your host layout systems installed or not.

Am I wrong?

Yanfeng