7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 5:52 AM by Wolfgang_Antrey

Export PDF and Scout

David_S

All,

I need a little help here.  We are just coming up to speed with DxDesigner and hierarchical designs.  With some changes to the default scout.ini file, and setting up correct page number setup files, we are now get correct page numbers.  We have also setup the PDF generator to use page_num (Schematic Sheet Order Property) to generate the pages in the correct order.  But, there are 2 problems when we do this:

1.  Bookmarks on in the PDF are not reordered.

2.  Selecting a block symbol and pushing into it, no longer goes to the correct page.

Are these known errors, or have we messed up our scount.ini files in a way the PDF genorator doesn't understand.  I've tried this with 2 designs, and they both do this.  Current version is 2007.8 update 14.

• 1. Re: Export PDF and Scout
          ted_casper

David,

Did you look at http://communities.mentor.com/message/17565#17565  ?

It sound like you are using a page number file to assign page numbers?  Is this necessary for your corporate standards?  If not, the way page numbers are assigned by scout make sense although they are different than older versions.  Regardless, the post listed above should work.

Regards,

Ted

• 2. Re: Export PDF and Scout
            David_S

The page numbering in both cases are per the design flow, not any standards.  If we use it without the page numbering, the flow is not even close to the logic in the design

The link you put in, is the problem I work through already.  Our pages numbers are correct in the design, and everything in DxD work just fine.  It's when we export to a PDF that things get messed up.  We want the page number in DxD to match the page in the PDF, and that part also works fine, in that in the PDF viewer, we can enter page 4, and the schematic we see has page 4 as the label, also the page up and down key work fine, and we see pages 1 thru X in order as we page through.

The problem accours in the PDF viewer when we select the symbol, and select the "Push Schematic".  It then goes to the incorrect page.

Update.  I have the full version of PDF writer, and after a little exploring, think I figured the problem out.  Whatever code writes the java script code, is not using "SheetOrder page_num" from the dxpdf.ini file to make the jump.

• 3. Re: Export PDF and Scout
              ted_casper

Are you sure the composite symbols are being annotated with the value from $lvlpage_first" for the property you define in DxPDF?  For our projects we use property SCHEM_SHEET_NO.    Below is a message between myself and Mentor support.  Using this method we solved the push issue.  The entire scout.ini file is in the thread posted above.

Excerpt from support e-mail:  4-27-2010

This has  worked on the three most complex designs I have access to.  All had two layer of  hierarchy (three levels deep schematic).  I did some checking and we used to use  the lvlpage_first property inside of DxPDF.  Some time ago it stopped working in  DXPDF although I think it had more to do with this property not being on all  schematic sheets.

I think  the total fix requires two entries (three if the cover page is different) in  scout and all must use the same property name.  This allows the PDF pages to be  numbered correctly and allows the PUSH to correctly work.  I have gone back to  using the property name SCHEM_SHEET_NO since it is already in all our projects  PRP files and would not require using an old scout.ini file to remove old  definitions before using the updated scout.ini file.  This way all my team needs  to do is update their scout file and run scout twice (first time to  remove).

This all  makes sense now and I appreciate your help. 

Ted

|Annotate all composite  components with the starting sheet number.

direct_reference directref1

attr composite any comp_attr any 0.00,0.00 middle_center

|Add invisible sheet number  info for use by DxPDF

format_prefix "SCHEM_SHEET_NO"

format_entry "$lvlpage_first"

format_attr_vis invisible

format_attr_size 0.15

end

|

|

|  Annotate 2nd and following sheet borders with the individual sheet  number.

direct_reference directref5

attr any dsheet.1 comp_attr any 32.55,0.10 middle_left

|Add visible sheet number  info

format_entry "$page_num"

format_attr_size 0.15

end

|

|  Annotate the cover sheets with the individual sheet  number.

direct_reference directref6

attr any dcoversheet.1 comp_attr any 33.05,0.10 middle_left

format_entry "$page_num"

format_attr_size 0.15

end

• 4. Re: Export PDF and Scout
                David_S

format_entry "$lvlpage_first"

format_entry "$page_num"

OK, that fixed it, and thank you!!!.

But .... I'm now totally confused on what the commands above do.  To me, it looks like you are putting the varible $lvlpage_first and $page_num to SCHEM_SHEET_NO entry.  Am I mis-understanding something in scout?  

• 5. Re: Export PDF and Scout
                  ted_casper

There is nothing magic about the "SCHEM_SHEET_NO" property.  You could have used any non reserved property name as long as you add it to the .prp file and call it out in the Advanced Tab Schematic Sheet Order Property field of DxPDF.  DxPDF uses this to put the pages in the correct order and allow correct push functionality inside the PDF.   If you don't have your hierarchical symbols include the "lvlpage_first" value, DxPDF doesn't know where to go when you push.  

From the DxPDF help "DxPDF Advanced Tab Options"

Schematic Sheet Order Property:  Sets the specific order in which to process sheets in a schematic hierarchy.

Rule: Make sure that each composite block has  a component-level property with a specific name whose value is an  integer as the starting page number for that set of schematic sheets.

Tip: Use Scout to annotate or update the property settings. 

To find out more about the "lvlpage" values that can be assigned by scout, search for "lvlpage" in the DxDesgner <help><documentation in infohub>.   I had to read the entire scout.pdf file (once in the infohub page click the display PDF icon) to understand how it worked.

• 6. Re: Export PDF and Scout
                    David_S

OK, everything was working great on the page numbering, until someone took a design into Variant Manager.  When we go into the "Create Variant/Function Schematics" mode, all the pages are showing as "Page 1 of 12".  I noticed that in the "Variant Title Block Definition" popup, that "page_num" (page number property) is set to "1", and seems to be the reason for all pages showing as "1".  Is there any way to have this show up as the value of the property instead?  I did some searches, and it looks like we should have a "${page_num}" in there, but that just resolves as text.

Also, the page order in the exported PDF is incorrect in the variants.

• 7. Re: Export PDF and Scout
                      Wolfgang_Antrey

DxPDF does not work correct - scout (now Cross Referencing) works OK with the special attribute.

DxPDF does not generate the right links inside the PDF document when you do not use "pop up menu on components".

Especially with hirarachical designs.

There is alread a SR with now a assigned DR!

Wolfgang